Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do you mail a letter to Japan? 2011/2/11 16:06
I'm seriously so confused

I live in the USA, if it matters

can someone please tell me how? walk me through it please :(

thanks in advance..!!
by wonderw650  

address 2011/2/11 16:59
Its explained on this page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2224.html

Write it in romaji otherwise USPS won't know what to do with it. And if you're still confused then post the address here (alter it for privacy first), and we'll help you out.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

hard to comprehend 2011/2/11 17:36
The procedure is exactly the same as for domestic mail or mail to any international destination. I presume you have an address?
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

non-english address 2011/2/11 17:59
Couldn't look at that guide link unfortunately.. wouldn't load for me for some reason, but I think it's the internet.

Basically I put the address in japanese and just put in english in big letters ''JAPAN.'' My post office said they just send it in big bulk to Japan and let them sort it domestically instead of flying it to different areas in Japan. Basically usps doesn't help them with any sorting. They just give them all ''JAPAN'' letters and then they are sorted in Japan?

That's what I was told anyways. I send a few things over that way, packages and letters. I always put it in Japanese language.. and just be sure to put the country in English so they know where to send it to. If in doubt, just write it both in romanji and Japanese.. take it to the post office. They can give you a bit of tape to tape it on your letter, for whichever they prefer.
by Min (guest) rate this post as useful

JAPAN 2011/2/11 18:41
Basically I put the address in japanese and just put in english in big letters ''JAPAN.'' My post office said they just send it in big bulk to Japan and let them sort it domestically instead of flying it to different areas in Japan.

Good point, I never considered that although it makes perfect sense. I guess that means you can write it in kanji as well if you are able.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/12 15:52
ok thanks ,
but...
do i need a special envelope??
or a special stamp?
anything like that?
by wonderw650 rate this post as useful

Same as you would usually do 2011/2/12 17:55
I'm not quite sure what is confusing you- sending a letter to Japan is like sending a letter anywhere else in the world, including within your own country.

Put it in an ordinary envelope, write the address on it (in English is fine), and check with your nearest post office how much postage is required to send a letter to Japan (it may depend on the weight of it), buy a stamp, stick it on, and put it in a mailbox, simple as that. Don't forget to write your own address on the back or the upper left corner of the envelope.

No special procedure is required for sending a letter to Japan in particular.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread