Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching english in japan with boyfriend 2011/2/13 19:21
My boyfriend and I are considering going to Japan to teach English for about a year.

I've been doing some research into it and asking questions to people who've done it before but I'm bothered by one thing and that's accommodation. We'd like to share a living space if we went over though I'm finding it hard to find anything that would be available to us.

Conversation schools that provide accommodation only seem to provide single units and from what I've read, this arrangement doesn't work well for 2 people. I've looked into gaijin/guest houses but there seems to be this rule that bf/gfs can't share a room, even though some places allow 2 people to have 1 room (??). It seems that teaching English in Japan is reserved for people who are not 'attached'.

I'm curious to know if anyone has gone over to japan and taught English as a couple and what living arrangement you had. Or does anyone how others have dealt with this. I'm sure there's people out there who have done it but I can't seem to find much about it :(
by Natushi12 (guest)  

... 2011/2/13 22:46
I've looked into gaijin/guest houses but there seems to be this rule that bf/gfs can't share a room, even though some places allow 2 people to have 1 room (??).

That is very strange - I believe that guesthouses do allow couples. Just be sure to find a self-contained room for two people, not of the dormitory type.

Another difficulty, though, is whether the two of you can find employment for the same school or for the same area at the same time. If you are not a married couple, and only one of you find work, the other can only stay on the Temporary Visitor status, with limited period of validity.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread