Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

using -chan honorific to a guy? 2011/2/16 21:24
i mean, the guy told me that I may call him xxxx-chan but I have not been calling him such since I thought to call a guy xxxx-chan implies something like romance or intimacy. will you please give me some clarifications regarding this?

thanks!
by kachiiiiieee (guest)  

depends 2011/2/16 22:42
If all his friends call him x-chan it could be just a nickname. But if he wants only you to call him x-chan, it could imply intimacy. Ask him who else call him with -chan when it comes up again.
by Nigo (guest) rate this post as useful

uhmm 2011/2/16 23:51
he told me before that his grandparents and his parents call him x-chan. his friends call him by his last name or first name.
by kachiiiiieee (guest) rate this post as useful

nickname maybe 2011/2/17 08:35
Most of my husband's friends from when he was at university, male and female, call him U-chan, (the U is from his family name) so sometimes it's just a nickname and doesn't imply romance at all. As above though, in your case it could be different- hard for us to say really.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/17 09:27
kachiiiiieee,

I agree with Nigo that you should simply ask him who else call him with -chan when it comes up again. But generally speaking, if it's for romance, it's the person who calls the name who decides to put a -chan at the end to show romantic feeling or intimacy, and not the person who has the name. In other words, one goes around saying, "Hey, I'm gonna call you -chan because I love you." but you don't really say, "Call me -chan." just so that you can be romantic. When a person says, "Call me -chan." it usually means, "Because that's how everyone calls me." or "Because that's how I prefer everyone to call me." But again, you never know.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread