Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best token to give? 2011/2/21 17:18
Hi, what would be the best kind of token to give to large number of people I will be meeting in Japan ie, classmates, roommates, or any random Japanese person I might meet?

Or firstly, would they appreciate it in the first place? XD

Is food okay? Or giving something not edible better? Like a keychain perhaps that is made only in my country.... If food, what kind?

Thank you!
by lastmockingbird  

gifts 2011/2/23 05:27
I'll start the ball rolling...

I don't believe that you should give small gifts to LOTS of people....I know that Japanese exchange gifts much more often than Western people do, but they do it with people they already know well not a whole classroom or workplace...I could be wrong but I doubt it..

When you went to a new school in your home country (USA?) did you give gifts to everyone even though you didn't know them? I sure hope not!

I remember a post on this forum years ago from a US tourist that believed he should hand out pens, key rings, candies etc. to any young person, store staff etc. he saw....he was told "this isn't the 1930s and 40s...)

By all means bring a few things that you will be able to give later to a few people but don't go overboard.

From your previous posts I understand that you worry a lot about fitting in, doing the right thing...RELAX...RELAX
You are a foreigner..you are SUPPOSED to be different from them in looks, clothes, everything and to be unaware of many things...

They will like you because you are different and some will be happy to teach you what you need to know.....THEN you can buy them some small thing..

I studied in foreign countries myself and definitely didn't bring gifts! it worked fine..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

:) 2011/2/24 17:46
Japanesee houses and flats are very small, so the most suitable gift are the sweets. Japan people like sweets very much! You can buy for ex. any special chocolate or bonbons in beautiful box.
by Kaehtan (guest) rate this post as useful

Gifts for everybody? 2011/2/25 11:04
How long are you going to spend in Japan? I travelled for 6 weeks in summer 2010. I had read in a travel guide that it is sometimes nice to carry postcards from your hometown. For example I just happen to live very close to Disneyland in California and a few other great spots. WHen I met fellow travellers or other people and maybe we had a pleasant time, I would write a little note on the postcard and say keep in touch. I sometimes hear from the people when they come to my area.. THat would be an easy and cheap token to give to people.
If you really feel like you want to give gifts to everybody, choose things that are unique to your area. IT depends on where you live, but each city, state, country has something they are proud of or popular. Don't feel like you have to give gifts to everybody. WHen I would trael with my Japanese friend she would bring her coworkers the special treats from the area we visited.
I mean if you are a student traveller, I think they will realize you are probably on a budget.
Enjoy your trip, I liked Japan so much, I am going back for spring break.
by Travelman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread