Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

city of Kyoto 2011/2/21 21:18
Hi every body
my name is Sara. I want to know your ideas about living in Kyoto? how do yo define Kyoto? what are its main features? what are its symbols? how do you feel about that?

thankssss
by sarasaj  

Kyoto 2011/2/22 14:06
What do YOU know about Kyoto and why do you want to live there?
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2011/2/22 15:57
Sara, You should explain what you want to do:
- work and live there
- just live there

Kyoto is just another big town and there is no special reason to live there unless you also have your workplace nearby. And if you want to live there it would be best to select the outskirts of the city.

But it is a great place to visit
by iwander rate this post as useful

I think 2011/2/22 17:10
I think OP's writing an essay and she just posted her essay prompt word for word.
by Psycho Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2011/2/23 05:05
Psycho Mike is likely right...

Sara, Google Kyoto...and check it on Google Earth, then street views, to see how it looks like.

kyoto 2011/2/25 02:48
thanks dears
you know, neither I want to live there, nor I want to work. I just want people opinions both as visitor and resident about the city.
in fact I am studying about big and historical cities. I want to compare my own imagination about the city to image of the people who live or visit there.
according to the information in books and articles or even weblogs, Kyoto is a historical and traditional city where you see just temples, gardens and shrine.
but I want to know the idea of the people about Kyoto.
by sarasaj rate this post as useful

kyoto 2011/2/25 02:50
Psycho, would you please send me the link of the essay or let me know how I can access that?

Kyoto 2011/2/25 04:58
Sarasaj,
Yes Kyoto has temples and shrines with gardens (something like 1600) but it is also a real city, with lots of houses, department stores, subways and buses, lots of traffic etc.

Try to install Google Earth on your computer (it is free) then zoom on Kyoto. Go down to about 800 feet..
go to file and click on Google maps to get a map of a Kyoto area.. move the yellow guy on the left to the map..streets will be highlighted in blue and all of a sudden you will see a photo of a street in the area you are looking at.. .

Following are NOT from Google earth/ street views
Kyoto trains station:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kyoto8.png
Kyoto streets:
http://www.japan-hopper.com/2007/01/17_04515.php
a residential street:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2909597480105051416awNUly

Paris, London, Rome etc. are historical cities with lots of very old churches, monuments etc. but they are also modern cities....

Where are you from?

Kyoto 2011/2/26 00:00
I think Sarah is not looking for pictures, but opinions and thoughts about Kyoto right?

When I'm in Kyoto, I feel that it's not a fast moving city. Its a pretty relaxed place.I feel that stores close too early for a city this size. :(
by nezumi (guest) rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2011/2/26 04:28
There is a famous saying: "a picture is worth 1000 words" ..
I did tell her a bit about Kyoto but saying that, besides temples etc. it is like any other city, with residential streets, department stores, a subway etc. doesn't give her the look and feel of that city...this is also why I suggested she use Google Earth..

kyoto 2011/2/28 22:05
hey dears
I am from Iran,
Thanks for links

reply to this thread