Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tax-Exempt form 2011/2/23 06:05
During my previous stay in Japan I used the opportunity to buy tax free products from Akiahabara. So they attached the tax-exempt form to my passport. But when I departed Japan the Immigration officer at passport control didn't remove the tax-exempt form from the passport like they did year ago during my earlier trip.
In tax-exempt form reads that you are required to surrender the form without fail to authorities.

so, Am I screwed?
by Ekowc  

... 2011/2/23 08:52
In the Japanese duty-free shopping procedure, I believe you received the 5% tax back at the shop where you made the purchase, correct? So you are not "screwed," for one thing. If you are coming back for another visit, you could tell the Immigration officer that on the last trip they forgot to remove the paper, I suppose that is all you can do.
by AK rate this post as useful

screwed? 2011/2/23 10:04
No problem, as AK mentioned in the Japanese duty free system the discount is made at the place of purchase (rather than a refund at departure scheme found in other countries). So you've already received the discount. Also the tax exempt notification in your passport has already served its purpose once you've cleared customs. It was supposed to be removed, and I think you can safely remove it yourself and consider the matter closed.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/23 11:03
Actually you are supposed to give it to the Customs Officer who has a desk located usually before you go through exit immigration. It's usually one or two people at a desk marked CUSTOMS before you go through exit Immigration (Passport Control) leaving Japan.

I know definitely at Terminals 1 & 2 at Narita Airport and at Chubu Airport (Nagoya) the customs desk is right before you go through exit Immigration. I would imagine Kansai and Haneda have a similar layout.

If I recall the form specifically says give it to Customs not Immigration. It can be easy to walk right pass the customs desk and strait to exit immigration.

Duty free, tax exemptions etc has nothing to do with the Immigration Officer's job (if he took the form in the past it was probably a courtesy) and everything to do with the Customs service.

by John (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/23 11:04
If the form doesn't specifically say customs, then that's who you should give it to next time anyway. As I mention, it's Customs responsibility not Immigration.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Just remove it 2011/2/24 06:19
Take it out of your passport yourself. How would they know?
by snooch (guest) rate this post as useful

Same boat 2011/4/18 11:32
Okay... Just got back from japan few days ago and found out that I've made the same mistake here. So...I don't have to worry about it at all?
by Jacky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax-Exempt form 2013/9/17 05:14
Sorry for late reply, but been to Japan several times after that and totally forgot the tax exempt form.

Good thing is that never had any problems with it.

Although, later noticed that the tax exempt form should be given to separate person right before passport control.
by Ekowc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread