Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanent resident various renewals 2011/2/24 15:42
Hi...I am a permanent resident. I will be out of the country on an extended travel/trip and while I'm gone, my re-entry would expire, my driver's (Japanese) is up and my Alien card also expires...what to do? I will be still in the country 5 months before the re-entry expires...

1) Can I apply for a new re-entry even though I have 5 months "remaining" on the old one? I read I can get a 4 year re-entry...? True?

2) Can someone else take care of my driver's license for me as I won't be here...

3) I will have my ARC with me, so can't renew it...Can I just renew it when I come back to the country...

Thank you in advance...I searched but couldn't find these specifics...
by blackpepper14  

... 2011/2/24 16:37
1) You will have to get a new re-entry permit in any case "before" you leave Japan. Once you know the exact travel dates (preferably with a written/printed itinerary in hand), ask at Immigration Bureau.

2) No, renewing the license involves eye-test and ID photographing on the spot, so you have to do it yourself. There is a process for early renewal in case you cannot renew it during the specified period. Again, please inquire with the driver's license center that you go to for the exact procedure (and starting when you can go for early renewal). Once again you will probably have to show some proof (such as written itinerary) of your time away from Japan.

3) Once again you should inquire with the city hall "before" you leave what you should do. When you come back in through the airport immigration and show an expired ARC, some eyebrows will go up.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you...but... 2011/2/24 17:53
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Actually, my trip is open-ended and I won't have a return ticket to Japan (Using Air Asia out of Haneda... coming back...???) Hope they accept this? Also, what happens if my driver's license expires? Can I just renew it when I eventually get back? Or, do I risk having to re-do a test?

Thanks again!
by blackpepper14 rate this post as useful

I am no lawyer here but 2011/2/24 21:54
How long of a time are you talking about?

Permanent Resident status does not have an expiry date, but as under 1), re-entry permit expires every three years. So at least you need to come to Japan at that time. This applies to ARC, which needs to be renewed I don't know every how many years.

If you fail to renew 1), you won't be able to come back in on the same status, and if you fail to renew 3) properly, immigration will know that you are not living in Japan, so they might decide that you do not need that status any more - at least you will be asked questions. So definitely ask in advance.

For 2), driver's license, they seem to allow you to re-gain the license fairly easily if the time elapsed is under six months. As the time increases (up to one year) the type(s) of lecture(s) you need to sit through would be more. Beyond one year, you need to show that there was an "inevitable" good reason that you could not show up to renew, such as long-term hospitalization or overseas job assignment.

In any case, I think it is best to ask beforehand what they/you can do. Driver's license office make exceptions for a scheduled business trips or unplanned hospitalization, I know, if you come with some documentation to show why you could not come.

I can imagine a situation where someone needs to leave Japan to go home, for example, to care for their elderly parents, not knowing how long they need to attend to them.... is that the case with you, or are you simply moving elsewhere, if I may ask?
by AK rate this post as useful

ARC 2011/2/25 07:22
I have not had to show my ARC to immigration at Narita since they introduced the fingerprinting system, so it's very likely you won't have to show it on entering Japan and can take care of it once you're back.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

ARC at NRT 2011/6/13 15:10
The poster above me post this "no need to show ARC at Narita" on any topic where it comes up... Others have argued with him regarding it but he still persists.... The fact is I travel 2 or 3 times a month and must show my card each time... Others state the same...

Fix it all before you go unless you want to risk being put on a plane home... This site is not for legal advice, so don't take it here. But anyone knows if your papers expire you need to renew them... Don't let one poster on Japan Guide make you lazy and end up getting kicked out of the country... Perhaps that is what he wants?

R
by Roger Banes (guest) rate this post as useful

ARC at airport 2011/6/13 23:30
Roger,

Who do you have to show your ARC to at the airport, and why? My experience is the same as Sira's. I've been out and back through Narita twice this year travelling abroad, and never had to show my ARC. Same on previous occasions too. It's your passport and the appropriate visa/re-entry stamps that immigration officials want to see.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Right 2011/6/14 16:11
Dave is right!

No ARC at the airport!

What counts is the passport with your permanent resident permit and re-entry visa.

by kulachan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread