Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work in Japan, with an Advanced Diploma? 2011/3/1 05:32
Hello Guys!

I am from Ontario, Canada. I was wondering if its possible for me to get a job in Japan, that would involve me teaching English WITHOUT a University Bachelor's Degree.

In Canada, I am currently enrolled at a College for a 3 year program in Computer Systems. At the end of these 3 years, I would have a ''Ontario College Advanced Diploma.'' (Regular Diploma is given after 2 years. Advanced Diploma is after 3.)

Is it possible/likely for me to get a job as an ESL (teaching English) in Japan, and get a Workers Visia (being sponsored for VISA?) if I have this Diploma INSTEAD of the Bachelor's Degree?

Thank you!
by Josh (guest)  

Bump! 2011/3/2 22:30
Bump! I am really anxious to know. Please help
by Josh (guest) rate this post as useful

Work visa 2011/3/2 23:09
Josh,

This is a frequently asked question which you could have found the answer to in the forum archives here, but to repeat, the basic requirement for a working visa is a bachelor's degree or a significant amount (3-5 years?) of relevant work experience. So, no, your diploma won't count for anything as far as Japanese Immigration is concerned.
If you are Canadian, then you do however have the option of the Working Holiday Visa, which allows you to work without the requirement of a university degree.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2011/3/2 23:20
Thank you Jeff.

I will look into the Working Holiday Visa, as I am Canadian.

Thanks again.

My apologizies for not searching properly.
by Josh (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes you can 2011/3/6 12:21
Hey!, My 2 cents here:

Yes you can get a visa but it will be part time (28hours/week). My husband who only have a dip and is on a dependent visa and he applied for a part time one and got it. He's now employed pt but he wont get sponsorship from the school.
Nothing try nothing done! I have heard of people getting sponsorship with a 4 yr degree. I have not first hand experience in that tho
by Jcandy (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/6 12:51
If you have a working holiday visa, no university degree is required to get work in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

bimyou 2011/3/7 01:41
i would consult with an immigration lawyer if you are serious about living in japan.

while people will tell you it's impossible, a 3 year diploma is a grey area and you may be eligible for sponsorship if you can find a company willing to attempt it for you, but there may be some special procedures necessary during your application process.

keep in mind there are certain university degrees normally awarded after 3 years of study which are recognized in japan as the same as 4 year degrees.

i'd say there's a decent chance you could get a working visa with a 3 year diploma.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread