Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

baby gifts 2011/3/2 01:24
My good friend who I met in the US is Japanese and has moved back to Japan after marrying an European. I went to Japan for her wedding last year. She is now expecting a baby girl in August. What is a suggested gift? Cash? Flowers? Baby items? I guess baby registry is not a Japanese custom! I have contact in Japan who can conceivably arrange something to be sent locally, but it is easier if I can order something online myself. Any suggestion is welcome.

I will travel to Japan to see her baby early next year (I don't want to intrude in the immediate aftermath of the birth). Not sure if I should wait until then to give my present or order something now. I will be the Godmother to the child, so I need to do something fairly substantial.
by tea4jade  

Cash and telegram 2011/3/4 06:02
Maybe even a way of celebrating childbirth is to change bit by bit. I can not guess how many people younger then me would follow what I think as of a traditional Japanese style.

[[Cash]]

I would choose cash if I offer a gift on childbirth to my friend who is so familiar that I can look after or name her baby. A baby might be given baby items by the parents, their relatives and their neighbors. Even if they don't need that, it's not easy to throw away a gift from a close friend. Money does not cause this kind of problem.

Speaking of customs, I suppose usually we send cash for congratulation in one, three or five 1000-yen or 10000-yen banknotes; we don't make it in an even number, especially never in four on childbirth. There is no need I presume to get fresh bills ready for a friend, but ones without folds are preferable. If you hope to use an envelope, I recommend asking your acquaintance in Japan to purchase one which is already made only for childbirth. (As to envelopes for monetary gift we have various types of design, some are for condolence.)

[[Telegram]]

Can you know the place of childbirth? If so, then how about sending a telegram? I have never sent one from overseas. Maybe a telecommunication company you know has a route between you in the U.S. and your friend in Japan.

At least two Japanese companies handle international telegrams to be sent to Japan. (I couldn't find English editions of the two websites). They both offer mounts of orthodox design as well as pretty decorative ones. In a case your acquaintance can send the telegram within Japan, you can choose NTT East / NTT West, but please don't forget to say it's from you in your message.

I suppose it's OK if your telegram reaches her by the time of "oshichiya" (literally "the seventh night") celebration on the seventh day from the date of birth.

-- KDDI Evolva
: List of fares (in JP yen) with links to mounts (explained in Japanese)
http://www.denpoppo.com/ryokin.html
You can attach your handwritten message you've saved in a picture file of JPG, GIF or PNG format.
-- Nippon Denpo Service
: mounts for congratulation (explained in Japanese)
http://www.nippondenpo.com/order/board_arts/index/1/1
: examples of messages (explained in Japanese)
http://www.nippondenpo.com/www/rei4.htm
Message #1902 is in English (It costs 29 US dollars for 46 - 49 alphabets). You can make use your own message typed.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Let me make correction. 2011/3/4 06:12
I admit it was too early to push the "submit" button....
NOT: (It costs 29 US dollars for 46 - 49 alphabets). You can make use your own message typed.
BUT: (It costs 29 US dollars for 46 - 50 alphabets). You can make your own message typed.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

foreign designs 2011/3/5 11:32
tea4jade,

If I were you, I would definately give something from the country you're traveling from. You can either send it immediately, or you can hand it directly as a sort of a bigger souvenior when you see her in Japan.

Clothes or/and toys would be great. Baby items differ from country to country, but they're always adorable in all the different ways, and it's a wonderful treat to get something from places the parents have less access to!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread