Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Name change from the US? 2011/3/2 06:53
This is kind of a complicated question but I want to change my name on my koseki. I'm a dual citizen but my name in the US is different from my name in Japan.

Is it possible to change my Japanese name from the US? Or do I have to go to Japan and do it in person?

Also, once I turn 20 in one year, I can make a new koseki? Does this mean I can change my name then or does that only happen through marriage? Can anyone make new koseki after they turn 20?

Sorry for such odd questions! I was raised in the US most of my life so I don't know these things!
by xAyakox  

????? 2011/3/3 06:19
---- I'm a dual citizen but my name in the US is different from my name in Japan.-------

How is your name different, your last name changed? I don't quite understand your question.
One usually go by mother's married name. Also what name does it show on your passport, birth certificate, immigration visa? How did your name change in the US?
by umiumi (guest) rate this post as useful

dual citizens 2011/3/4 10:20
How is your name different, your last name changed?

Dual citizens may be registered under different names in each country of nationality. Japan for example doesn't allow for middle names so its not uncommon to combine a first and middle name together, or drop the middle name altogether from a child's legal Japanese name.

Is it possible to change my Japanese name from the US? Or do I have to go to Japan and do it in person?

I think it depends on what you want to do. A legal change may require permission from a family court, while a marriage change is just a note attached to your koseki, I believe. I think that a name change would have to be done in person either way. Have you tried calling the city/ward office where your koseki resides? They would be able to give you some official guidance.

Sorry for such odd questions! I was raised in the US most of my life so I don't know these things!

Don't worry, its not a regular procedure so I'm sure most people born and raised in Japan don't know the rules either.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

need more information 2011/3/4 15:05
You have to be more specific. Let me guess though.
Are you a government official? hahah... just kidding.
Did you get your US name from your step-parent who adopted you and is that why your name is different than the one you used in Japan?
If so, you're automatic with your name you have now because you came into US with a permanent visa entry and you were given the name your parents gave you. You don't need to go to Japan to change it. Only your given name at the birth will remain same on your birth certificate. You need to show that in order to get a passport in the US, you also need to show your entry (permanent visa), your parents marriage certificate, and your mother's citizenship certificate.
You should get a US passport to keep your name verified in the US where you have been living or raised.

name change 2011/3/4 16:30
The OP is adopted? Where are you reading that?

xAyakox,

The previous poster's advice relies on possible aspects of your situation that I'm not finding in your post. You're going to have to clarify more on what your situation is so that we can give you better advice. For example, is there a specific need to change your legal Japanese name? Because there may not be a disadvantage in it being different from your legal name in the US (other than for aesthetic reasons).

many different circumstances 2011/3/5 02:48
--------I'm a dual citizen but my name in the US is different from my name in Japan.
Is it possible to change my Japanese name from the US? Or do I have to go to Japan and do it in person?--------

I know that one cannot change the birth name on the birth certificate.
Name is not a real problem for you to carry different name in the US if that was given name by your parents.
It's how you got to US and have different name. Are your parents Japanese citizen or carry US citizenship? Or did one of your parents remarry and you have new name? etc.

. 2011/3/5 08:52
@umiumi
It's very common for dual citizens to have two different names from birth. All the dual citizens I know have two names. Japan doesn't care what name is on your birth certificate.

Since nobody seems to know the answer, how about you ask the Japanese consulate and let us know the answer.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

aso.. let me tell you stories... 2011/3/5 11:11
Examples:
My niece and nephew have dual citizens but they use same name in both countries. Both born in Switzerland, mother is a US citizen father is Swiss. One of them now lives in US after parents divorce but she maintains dual citizenship so does her brother. Mother remained US citizen throughout.
I have more, my Japanese aunt's brother in law moved to California years ago with his wife and two children and they have another child born in US. They all use their Japanese names and hold dual citizens. But two of the three children are little confused about being dual citizens because they were born in Japan and came to states when they were about 6 and 8, they are now adults. They don't know which way to go. They feel americans because they were raised in California and they don't know Japan and forgotten Japanese language. Only their parents make trip back to Japan every once in a while for weddings and funerals.

given name 2011/3/5 13:53
It's easy to change your given name. Just go to the ward office where your koseki is kept and let them know that you want it changed. But if it's your family name, it might be very difficult unless you create a new koseki and sever legal relationship with your family. (This is an educated guess, though.)
by Jou (guest) rate this post as useful

since we're telling stories... 2011/3/5 18:05
Let me tell you a more relevant story. My dual citizen daughter (Japanese/US) is legally named Jane Hanako Smith (not her real name) in the US. Her Japanese legal name is Smith Janehanako (technically it would be スミス ジャヌハナコ). This could be the exact situation that the OP finds themselves in where the names don't match due to the differences in each countries rules (let alone different writing systems).

However, it is still questionable whether or not it is even an issue that the names match as the OP hasn't been back to specify their situation.

Family Court's permission 2011/3/6 00:17
Generally there may be a case in which
a person was born in the United States of America,
and this fact guarantees his/her U.S. nationality,
and because at least one of his/her parent was then a Japanese national,
his/her birth was notified to Japan with his/her Japanese nationality reserved.

In Thread # 81479, the original poster xAyakox wrote:
"I will be 20 in July this year,"
"When I am 20, can I create a separate koseki from my parents? Or do people only make a new one when they get

married?"
"Also I want to change my official name (on koseki) how can I do this? Can I do it from the US?"

Also, once I turn 20 in one year, I can make a new koseki?

Yes.

Jou: It's easy to change your given name. Just go to the ward office where your koseki is kept and let them know

that you want it changed.

No. If an official name were to be changed so easily without a certain reason, a person who committed a crime would be

able to behave as if he/she were another person again and again by changing names, until his/her name history is

traced back by the authority.

Changing a name as a Japanese national needs permission of Family Court ( 家庭裁判所 "Katei Saibansho") in principle.

Two exceptions are about one who got married to a foreign national; so neither of them applies to you for now.
-- A family name could be changed for a compelling reason. A given name could be changed for a justifiable reason.
-- However, it seems that changing a name without an objective reason is to be a thing of "I wish I could" rather than

"I hope I can."
-- You now don't have a chance to change your family name, which should affect all the members who share the same

"koseki" (family register). It will become legally possible after you have got an independent "koseki" through a

marriage or separation of "koseki" you now belong to.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

name change 2011/3/7 09:46
The OP is adopted? Where are you reading that?

I just realized after rereading the thread that Umiumi was speculating on reasons why the OPs names are different.

Furthermore, Omotenashi brings up a good point, which I was attempting to get to. If you are in certain situations it is a very easy procedure to change your name, for example you want to change your name after getting married. In other situations it is far more difficult. I believe that name changes must be done in person, but again I'd recommend calling your local ward/city office for guidance.

reply to this thread