Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About seiyuu auditions... 2011/3/5 06:20
Hello! I'm a 21 years old girl all the way from Finland. I would love to try my luck as a seiyuu but I don't know where to find information on seiyuu auditions held in Japan. I would really appreciate your help. At the moment, I'm studying Modern Languages and Business Studies for Management Assistants at the university. In addition, I'm not Finnish, but Vietnamese, and I speak both languages as my mothertongues. I've studied Japanese a few years by myself, and I'm able to speak and read the language quite fluently now (except some kanjis). In addition to those three languages mentioned above, I'm able to speak fluently English, Swedish, French and Mandarin Chinese. Would my languages skills be of any advantage compared to other applicants in seiyuu auditions? Thank you very much in advance.
by Nihonjin ja arimasen (guest)  

Well... 2011/3/6 07:56
Hello.

I assume that by ''seiyuu'' you mean voicing characters in anime and games, yes? From my limited knowledge, the most practical way to become a seiyuu is to attend a voice acting school in Japan. Naturally you will be required to speak fluent and accentless Japanese as you will be reading off scripts, and have to compete with native speakers. As for the other languages that you know, I'm afraid they won't give you an edge over the other applicants as you are not expected to speak any language apart from Japanese. You also need to be good at acting.

Sorry if this is discouraging to you, but know that becoming a seiyuu is very hard. Only a small minority of the students become a seiyuu after graduating training school. You might have a chance to voice a supporting foreign character, but I think that being on par with seiyuu like Yuko Miyamura and Rie Kugimiya who voice act for a living is simply impossible for a foreigner.

Just my two cents.
by カラス (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread