Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teach ESL with DWI related violation? 2011/3/7 08:33
I have been interviewing with schools in South Korea for over a month. When I chose a position and sent the necessary criminal record I was told they do not hire teachers with ANY DWI related violations. After applying to several schools and getting the same response I found it impossible to get a job. My charge was plead down to a traffic infraction but the arrest on my record was enough. Will this be a problem in Japan as well?
by Heather (guest)  

No problem 2011/3/7 14:51
If you are in America and applying for a visa, the embassy doesn't use CORI as a background check. It couldn't even if it wanted to, actually. So no, you will not run into the same problem.

They might do a regular background check, but arrests do not show up, nor will your DWI. Especially since it was turned into a traffic infraction.

Employers also do not do background checks in Japan. There may be rare instances where one might ask for a CORI, but even if they did you shouldn't have any problem. I've read of many people with DWI records that get jobs in Japan without a hitch. Besides, a traffic infraction is not a crime. If an employer asks if you've ever been convicted of a crime, remember the answer is No! Which, is the truth. So don't go divulging more info than you need to, and you'll be fine.
by Taipan1975 rate this post as useful

Probably ok 2011/3/7 19:48
If it was an arrest and not a conviction then it's probably ok. Some employers and some programs such as the JET program may ask for a detailed criminal record check but for the most part they don't. It's really drug related crimes and some other serious things that immigration might stop you for or deny you a visa but for that sort of record you should be fine.
by Mr. T (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread