Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I want to go to japanese high school 2011/3/8 09:51
I live in japan, and already graduated high school in america.

Im 21 years old. I have long term resident status. Can I go to a high school?

basically for a year, at senior year. And I havent decided if I wanted to study seriously and be a real student, doing all the assignments since Im already a graduate, but at least go there on part time basis anyway.

I read this on kawasaki website, and not sure if every high school does that, but I live in tokyo 23-wards. and do i need to choose a high school in my ward, or can choose anyone one, such as where more foreigners are attending (even if not that many).

''There are also three different time schedules to choose from: daytime classes, nighttime classes, and correspondence courses, which do not require the student to attend every day.

The high school correspondence course system is designed for individuals unable to attend school on a daily basis because they are working, or for other reasons.''

I would probably start off with correspondance course, but basically I just wanted to know what attending a high school in japan is like, and I can be immersed in language all day and be more fluent maybe since its easy to forget things when you are out of school for a while.

Also I could take classes like Home Economics to learn more about japanese culture and home life, etc.

Possible?

by Royal Gal (guest)  

... 2011/3/8 10:43
I found this school too, which seems to be a little less traditional.

http://yamabuki-hs.metro.tokyo.jp/

no uniform, correspondance courses, life-learning couses ( not sure which clases they are though, hopefully something useful to me), and seems anyone can go there.

workers, high school dropouts, and housewives as well.

Any other opinion about this school?

doesnt seem to be exactly what im looking for and at least some people around my age as well.

not sure what my japanese level need to be though, and if they can cater to me. i dont think real 'exchange students' are going there from over seas.. so at least the other public schols would have experience or dont need to take me that seriously.
by OP (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/8 11:22
If you've already graduated American high school (and at 21, not even just graduated), why do you want to go to a Japanese high school? Some American schools have exchange programs to become "fifth year seniors" where the fifth year is spent abroad, but if you've already graduated you're probably beyond that. It sounds like you think going to a public high school would be a cheap way to learn Japanese, but if you're already here with a long term resident visa and enough Japanese skills that you could handle a high school course load why not just go to vocational school or some other kind of college program with people your own age? You might be eligible for some of the night school programs, but those are usually aimed at people who didn't finish high school the first time or work part time jobs and can't attend classes- like GED classes in America.

I think most schools would find it very strange and suspicious if a 21 year old who already has a high school diploma was trying to enroll in high school again.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/8 16:35
no i have only been here 6 months and dont sqeak level 1 or 2 japanese yet to enroll in a college.

i
already go to a language school that i pay for. so not really trying to learn free japanese. just want to be immersed all day. language school only does so many hours. i have no natiue friends, live alone and never speaking japanese. forget everything cuz never use what i know and ability at standstill. i learn language like a baby and need
it spoken constantly. this current method aint working. even watching dramas to pick up language in a setting.

so i want to go to school or even a college if i can pay less tuition and sit in on classes until my level is enougg to join the college seriously. possible?

i forgot what its called in english but u can do it at american college and take classes non credit.

I remember 2011/3/8 18:08
its called 'auditing' a class. and some community and high school students could sit in on classes to listen to lectures as well. I dont need to take exams or tests.

Basically I can read most japanese, understand most spoken. My own speaking skills is low. Im a bit shy when it coming to speeches or debating something...

But basically I want to take about 2 interesting classes, and pay the course fee for those, and maybe even join a couple campus groups.

But basically if im in some situation where I have to understand what they are talking about and what I want to learn, Im going to pick up japanese fluency a lot quicker.

My major was linguistics before, so I would love to sit in on some japanese linguistics class and maybe a sociology class. those were interesting enough in america. would love to see the japanese view. and preferably 101 so im not too much of a retard.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

NO! 2011/3/8 18:42
You cannot go to high school, let it go man. Besides, college is better, you can drink with your buddies. Can't do it (legally) in high school
by CocoIchibanMan (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/8 20:33
who care about drinking. i already let the high school thing go. now im asking about auditing colleges possiblity. any answers.

High school is your solution? 2011/3/8 22:12
Royal Gal,

Seeing the title, I had thought that this was just another "how can I go to Japan" teen question.

Each high school in Japan has different policies and different courses. It's not a matter of region. I wonder from which part of the "kawasaki" web you picked that line up. It sounds like a "teiji-sei" high school to me. They're all over Japan.

I also wonder why the correspondence course attracted you. As you yourself mention, the course is designed for those who wish to study but are "unable to attend" school, when what you seem to wish for is "attending a high school" and to "be immersed in language all day."

If you just want to be surrounded by Japanese speaking people all day, why not start a job. You can start washing dishes and move on to waiting tables and then to the cashier. You'll have more opportunities to speak Japanese than you would sitting quietly in a classroom, or quietly in front of your desk at home for that matter.

You can also start attending any kind of lessons as a hobby, such as pottery, sports or musical instruments. You can enjoy conversation with the teacher and students.

If you really want to study, you can visit your local Board of Education or Ward Office for details, but high school is basically for those who wish to sit down and take notes. You can also consider applying for ALT if you are qualified.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/8 22:47
applied for alt hundreds of times since i came. no english place will hire me. im either too young, live to far, or under qualified i have degree but ..or they already have enough staff. restaurants wanted to hire me but i dont speak enough jp. no dish washer position open but how about you ask your contacts to give me a job then.

i have teaching experience in japan as volunteer for summer and in america teaching mexican workers. i guess a lot of competiton and they go for older and master degree. maybe 5 years later i apply and get the job.

clubs 2011/3/9 12:42
Why not join some kind of social club then? Even if you don't speak a lot of Japanese people are always happy to talk to people with common interests. There are sports groups, culture groups, anything you're interested in you could probably find a hobby group for.

If your Japanese isn't even at the level where you could have a basic service job you probably wouldn't get very much out of auditing classes for high school or college- it would be too far above your level. Keeping in Japanese language class and then joining social groups and making Japanese friends so you can practice the language is probably a better way to learn without getting overwhelmed.
by vita (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/9 13:03
i wanna audit classes. no homework. no test. just listen to lecture and take notes.

restaurant you need to speak keigo. i dont know enugh for hall staff. no dish washer position available.

dont want language exchange. they always end up wanting to english everytime. tired of it.

quick question 2011/3/9 17:06
Royal Gal, are you the same person as "OP" and "."? If so, could you be so kind enough to use the same name? If not, please ignore me.

. 2011/3/9 18:15
how to say audit a class in japanese?

replies 2011/3/10 17:46
To OP;
I think you want to apply as 聴講生 (choukousei). More universities and community schools accept that than high schools.

To . ;
As repeatedly suggested, you can always take hobby lessons like sports. You can also contact your local international exchange lounge (there is at least one in each of the 23 wards in Tokyo) for friendship gatherings and educational events.

reply to this thread