Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to send supplies? 2011/3/15 03:10
I've gathered money from friends and family, and I'd like to purchase supplies (bottled water, blankets, medicine, food) and send it to the people that need it most.

I don't trust many of the charitable organizations, and I'd rather send it directly to the town hall of a town that really needs it, it can be there within a few days.

Please let me know of an address and what specifically you need.

Thank you.
by LaLaLaDeeDaa  

Thank you 2011/3/15 16:00
Your concern and consideration is very much appreciated.

Considering that you are outside Japan, I believe it would be better for you to donate the money to organizations in Japan for them to purchase and deliver the supplies. A relatively small parcel addressed to a city hall in the vast affected areas might not find its way that easily there (postal/delivery service disruption). Also, postage from where you are to Japan is likely to cost a LOT extra. It would make more sense to leave the purchasing to some organization in Japan so you can deliver more value for the money, so to say.
by AK rate this post as useful

Supplies 2011/3/15 16:17
LaLaLaDeeDaa,

All of the main delivery services have suspended deliveries to the areas most seriously affected by the earthquake and tsunami. Well-meaning individuals trying to send packages of any kind (whether to relatives or to refugee centres) actually hampers organized relief efforts and is strongly discouraged. Please consider donating cash to a reputable charity at this point in time.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

answer to ur Q 2011/3/17 13:48
I found this webcite..http://www.2hj.org/index.php/news/send_us_food_and_supplies/

It doesn't say USA can't send stuff, it does warn us that may cost money. How much is what I want to know. I don't trust charities but I feel so bad for those in Japan, such wonderful country it not fair they had suffer like this. I want to send stuff too. If you do send stuff, follow that webcite, they give you address and what to send..please message me back how much money, what size box you used so I can send stuff. YOU don't have follow redcross.etc cites..this cite say prefer be locals bc of what we have pay...they still request general stuff..there is a list.
by sundoodle rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/17 14:04
sundoodle,

It does say "For Those in Japan," so supplies from within Japan are very welcome, and they say for those outside Japan, monetary donation is most welcome.

I know that charity group to be a reputable one, but it is one of "those" organizations, located in Tokyo.
They will arrange for deliveries to the affected areas, probably using their own volunteer staff and trucks. Currently deliveries to the affected area are quite difficult (and costly), so if you want to help, please donate. They are saying that for THEM to deliver to the affected area it costs a lot of money, when they say "there is considerable expense involved in delivering the donated food and supplies to the disaster area."
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/17 23:28
Chief Cabinet Secretary Edano asked not to send items directly to the striken areas as it will cause confusions and not effective. Instead. he asked to bring them to each local prefectual office where they organize trahsfering. As you live in the US, your bst bet is to make a donation to American Red Cross.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Calm down 2011/3/17 23:30
sundoodle,

The other posters are right, and you are missing the whole point of that link anyway.

The reason disaster areas suffer lack of supplies is not mainly because there are few supplies in Japan. It is because roads are jammed and because there is little gasoline due to gasoline tank damage.

If an indivisual sends something from a route apart from the one Japan has already organized, it will cost extra manpower, extra traffic jam and extra fuel. Remember, real people are deliverying those stuff for you. You are free to send them now, but that will likely be delivered after all the other supplies, and by the time it gets there, they will hardly be in need.

Please stay calm and think what you can really do now. You can also make donations to organizations that your Japanese Embassy has approved of, if that pleases you.
http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/index.html

You can send messages of encouragement to your local media or your local Japanese Embassy or even Twitter. TV is starting to show translated messages from abroad and they really make me cry.

Tell them they are not alone!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread