Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Korean Americans in Japan? 2011/3/20 16:24
Hi. my name is William Lee and My korean name is Lee Han Ju(—›ŠØ’Œ). i moved to America when i was a kid. although i am from korea, i consider myself as an American. i m going to a university soon and i always was interested in Japan and its culture. i have always wanted to travel or stay there for long period of time, maybe teaching English or get a accouting related career. i plan to major in accounting and minor in Japanese. as a korean, i know there is a negative feeling towards each so i am not sure if i will be ok. So any advice? and those of you who are Japanese, how should i use my name? use my english name? or traslate the chinese character in my korean name? or just make a new japanese name?
by Willam Lee (guest)  

names 2011/3/20 20:32
Most Korean Americans I know here either use an English name. Koreans born in Korea more often use the katakana for the sounds of their Korean name, not translating the characters.

Korean pop groups and TV dramas are quite popular here these days and people are used to the sound of Korean names.

You can use a Japanese name as a nickname if you like but you won't be able to use one officially, and people will probably be confused as to why you have a Japanese name if you are Korean American.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

To answer your question... 2011/3/21 06:53
I used the Chinese characters for my name and katakana depending on the situation. I went to a language school and many Koreans there use the Chinese characters. Of course, it's all by preference. Please do not feel it's all negative toward each other. I thought the same too back in the states, but I think it's just the Koreans overseas that are more prejudiced than the Koreans in Korea and Japanese.
by Hana (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread