Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Relief boxes from usa? 2011/3/20 21:23
Please tell me what food items from usa sources would be the best to send to Japan relief when things settle down a bit. What foods and goods would be essential for the average person affected by the disaster? Know rice is staple, but what other things would be essential to make a meal? What small things would make the difference for such wonderful people. Already have sticky rice and soy, canned fish, meat chicken and fruit. Need some help with additional comfort items, need suggestions, what's in the box?What would you like to find, need, want?
by santapaws  

. 2011/3/20 23:43
santapaws,

Thank you for your consideration, but I think what is needed totally depends on the time and situation.

For example, some areas are already starting to accept DOMESTIC parcels from indivisuals, and a lot of people in Japan are asking the same question as you are.

But situations change, and it's best to pay attention to what they say they want at that moment. If you have a specific person you want to send things to, you should ask that person.

Meanwhile, it may not be a bad idea to prepare some local nonperishable treats that are also nutritious. If it's food, the Japanese in general prefer things that are not overly fatty or overly sweet.

For example, I just saw a post on the internet from someone in Japan who was requested to send batteries from a relative. At first, the sender was thinking about sending a big box including toilet paper, but to contribute to smooth delivery, the person decided to send an envelope with the batteries, disposal warmers and ready-made food packs of local specialities.

You may also want to discuss with your local post office to see what products can be exported or not and what kind of packaging is appreciated in this situation.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

What makes it special! 2011/3/21 03:15
Thanks for the info Uco, but know in the near future that much like Katrina here in the states that people will need general things and food, so my question really still is, what kinds of foods or useful things will be needed. It will take some time and money to find the right things to help everyone move on, so want to make each carton count and be helpful. When we put together things here in the states, we had a point of reference on the culture and habits of the people. Since I have not traveled to Japan but only china and thailand know that there are differences in local tastes and preferences and would like to personalize the items to meet the needs and likes of the culture. You can only eat so many cans of pork and beans till you long for some comfort and familar food. Batteries are always in my cartons, right up there with the toothpaste and flashlights and baby formula. Will go to one of the asia markets here in my city and talk with the women and see what they recommend, but would still like some other ideas as well as to make someones day when they open the box and found something they wanted and needed.
by santapaws rate this post as useful

monetary donations prefered 2011/3/21 10:52
Your generosity is commendable, however because shipping boxes of supplies from overseas adds so much time and expense, non-profits such as Second Harvest Japan are urging people from outside Japan to donate an equivalent amount of money instead. That will help get more supplies to the those who need it as fast as possible. Here's some info on how you can donate:

http://www.2hj.org/index.php/get_involved/donate_money

Also note that because of customs inspection, shipping delays, and non-Japanese food labeling, foodstuffs sent from overseas may not be able to be used and would have to be disposed of instead (incurring additional cost). If you insist on sending supplies, then it would be best to send non-food items such as batteries, diapers, adult diapers, sanitary napkins, toilet paper, wet tissue, face masks, portable toilets, adhesive bandages, etc. Also, its request that you send as many like items together as possible to speed up sorting and distribution.

You can find more info, and a list of requested items here:

http://www.2hj.org/index.php/news/send_us_food_and_supplies/

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

donations 2011/3/21 11:09
Here's another collection of organizations that you can donate to to help the earthquake and tsunami victims:

http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Check past local record 2011/3/21 17:28
santapaws,

What did your country (wherever that is) send to Japan upon other great disasters? There were many, such as the Hanshin Great Earthquake (1995) and Niigata Great Earthquake (2007). Try to check your local organization on that.

Either way, staple food is rice, but the Japanese prefer rice from Japan. In the past, Japan tried to import rice (in non-disaster circumstances), but it didn't work since the taste was so different.

A quick internet search tells us that for the Tohoku disaster, Japan has already received supplies from 13 countries around the world which are, for example, blankets from Canada, ready-made fried rice meals and bottled water from Korea and power generators from Taiwan.

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/affairs/news/110320/dst11032004200015-n1.htm
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread