Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One year cell phone contract in Japan 2011/3/21 12:43
Currently, are there any cell phone plans in Japan that allows 6-month to one year contract and have more phone selections? I am hoping to be able to get a smartphone (prefer Android), and I don't mind paying for the entire phone up front.

I have been looking up on phone companies' website but their websites aren't that informative. I saw that Softbank has Pre-paid plan but the rate is kind of pricey and the phones aren't that good. And I also saw 2-year plans, but I don't think I can take those because my visa is only for one year.

I will be going to Kyoto for an academic exchange program for 1 year this coming April. I am currently holding a college student visa that's valid for one year.

Thanks!
by Dumpsome  

. 2011/3/21 17:24
i have a one year visa too and i made a 2 year contract with docomo.

you can make 2 years contact. and when you about to leave, just cancel the contract, or stop paying for it.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Really? =D 2011/3/22 10:27
When did you sign up for that? I heard that people used to be able to sign up for the 2-year contract but they no longer can recently as they become more strict.

And can you pay for it with credit card or must be bank transfer?
by Dumpsome rate this post as useful

phone contracts 2011/3/22 11:11
It depends on the particular outlet, but you should be able to find someplace that will sell you a 2 year contract while on a one year student visa. Just be prepared for a early termination fee like .(guest) mentioned. Also you can pay for your bill in a number of ways, bank transfer, credit card, at conbini, but I believe contract phones require you to have a bank account to sign up regardless of how you intend to pay your bill.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/22 11:33
I signed up for it near of the end of december/january. so I only have the phone a few months now. :)

I didnt pay for the phone in advance im doing 2 year installment plan to pay for the phone as well, so the cost is like 2300 yen per month tacked onto the communication charge bill.

if you make 2 year contract and dont pay for the phone up front, then you must do direct deposit. If you pay for the phone up front, then its possible to pay month to month whenever you get money. haha.

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Great! 2011/3/22 11:54
Awesome! I guess I will try out Docomo once I get to Kyoto (though I like the phones in AU better)

This kind of deviate from the question, but I wonder if you have any trouble setting up a bank account in Japan. That's because university has informed us the we probably can't set up a bank account due to, again, stricter rules that was introduced recently.
If I can indeed set up a bank account with a one-year college student visa, are there anything that I should know before going to the bank? Or is there certain bank that would do that?
by Dumpsome rate this post as useful

reply to this thread