Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

working hoilday 2011/3/23 19:40
hi all im from sydney and im ment to be flying to narita next week to start my working holiday visa. I have read alot of info on here and im still confused whether to go or not. I have been planing this trip for many years and when im finally ready to leave - this big disaster has hit Japan has a really feel sorry for them.

anyway i have some questions

- How bad is the radiation in Tokyo? How fast is it spreading? And would it be safe to go there still?

- Is it difficult to find work as a private English tutor? I do not have a university degree or any formal qualification, however, I have been teaching casually to overseas students in Australia. Should I get a TESOL certificate? Are there any other ways to improve my chances to get a job quick?

- If the teaching does not work out, what other job options are there for me as a 'gai-jin'?

I have saved enough money to get me through the next 3 months.
by rickasticka  

... 2011/3/23 20:32
How bad is the radiation in Tokyo?

Radiation in the air is negligible:
http://mextrad.blob.core.windows.net/page/13_Tokyo_en.html

There have been reports about heightened radiation in tap water in certain parts of Tokyo, but below the level where they pose a danger to adults.

How fast is it spreading?

In waves. There is hope that it will decrease soon when the reactors will be put under control. An opposite scenario is also possible...

And would it be safe to go there still?

Right now it is safe. And most experts agree that it is unlikely to change. But nobody knows...

Less than 2 weeks have passed and things change on a daily basis.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Further Info. 2011/3/24 10:29
Here is another link to information regarding radiation (specifically around the port areas).

http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/000138501.pdf
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

thank you 2011/3/24 19:59
thank you so i have moved my ticket to 29 may, i hope i can get a job with all this happening
by rickasticka rate this post as useful

reply to this thread