Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teach with a 3 year Bachelor's Degree? 2011/3/28 12:08
Hello I am a 20 year old Canadian citizen and I have decided to follow my dream and do whatever it takes to live and teach in Japan. I am enrolling in University and need to know if I need a four year degree or would a three year degree be sufficient? Here is a link to the school and course I am hoping to applying to.
http://www2.athabascau.ca/programs/ba3engl/

Please I am really wanting to get my education started and need to know if this program is sufficient.
Thank you so much for your help!
by Taylor Vee  

3-year bacheor's degree 2011/3/28 15:48
Taylor,

The Japanese immigration requirement for getting a working visa is a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. Despite the incorrect information repeatedly posted even on this forum, there is no stipulation that it has to be a 4-year degree, as in many countries, three years is all it takes.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

any bachelor's 2011/3/28 22:24
All I have is a 3-year Bachelor of Arts degree (from a New Zealand university), and I never had any problem getting or renewing working visas. As Dave in Saitama says, you need a bachelor's degree, doesn't matter how long it takes to get it, but a lot of people think it needs to be a 4-year degree.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/28 22:37
Time and again (on other web forums) I keep trying to tell people as long as they have a bachelors (it doesn't matter how many years it took them they are fine).

Unfortunately the "four year" degree answer is a US-Centric answer in many cases. In many other countries Bachelor's degrees can be done in 3 years and that's fine.

Immigration doesn't state the number of years, when I challenge people to produce me where it specifically says "four years" they remain quite. (Again speaking about other internet websites, not here).
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

no prob for immig. 2011/3/28 22:41
For immigration it doesn"t matter.
If you are enrolling in higher education here, the MEXT accreditation works on 4 year degrees, but waivers to enable admission with a 3 year degree are standard AFAIK.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread