Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

12 months Japanese for student visa 2011/3/30 00:52
I wish to study the International Baccalaureate program in Japan. Amongst the requirements for a pre-college student visa application is the minimum 12 months of Japanese study. To add on, the entire IBO curriculum is in English, except for Japanese of course.

I have recently completed 150 hours of intensive Japanese classes which is equivalent to JLPT5. It is a full-time course, every week day in which it took me 2.5 months to complete. The language school I go to also provides the same course in part time once a week, which will take a year to complete.

My question is, in view of the student visa application, usually what level of Japanese proficiency would one need to successfully get a pre-college student visa? Would my situation above be sufficient for a successful visa application?
by magelogy  

... 2011/3/30 08:06
Some people start from zero knowledge of the Japanese language, and enrol in full-time study (for a year, year and a half, or two years) to get to college entrance level. So I don't think you have to worry about the level of proficiency. But note that it has to be a "full-time" course to make you eligible for a pre-college visa.
by AK rate this post as useful

btw 2011/3/30 19:42
there's no precollege visa anymore, it's been consolidated into one "student visa" category.

you don't need any japanese ability to enter a language school

but, for those of you who reach this thread from google, if you are going to be attending any kind of school besides a japanese language school you are going to need at least JLPT1 or 2 in order to pass the school's entrance examination or have their entrance exam waived, plus you will also face an interview with the admissions staff.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/30 23:56
Pre-College Student visas were consolidated into the "College Student" visa category, even if you are not a college student.

Generally no language requirement is required, even though there is a section to fill in. Are you just reading the application or have you actually talked to the school in person (or have been in communication with them)?

I highly suggest you contact the school and communicate with them to see what they want you to put down.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread