Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Passport 2011/3/30 02:04
Hi All,

Just wanted to know how long it takes to receive your Japanese passport after application and what the admin fee is?

I was just curious as I'm thinking of inviting some people over for a few weeks for a break while Japan recovers. I'm pretty sure they don't have passports as they have never travelled abroad before.

Thanking you in advance.
by Yahatacookie 1  

.. 2011/3/30 08:24
Once you've applied, I believe it is about a week, at least in Tokyo, until you can go and pick it up.

But note that applicants need to submit a copy of their "koseki tohon/shonon," a copy of their "juminhyo" (resident's record), and a photo of an appropriate size, to apply. So you might have to allow a bit more time for them to get these documents ready. They will need to come with an ID when they go pick up the passport (such as a driver's license, health insurance card, etc.), so make sure they have no difficulty with these.

They charge you either 11,000 yen (for 5-year passport) or 16,000 yen (10-year passport).

http://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/toko/passport/pass_2.html
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread