Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan and energy conservation 2011/4/3 15:05
Was talking with my Japanese buddy tonight and he tells me that although things are getting back to normal, there are still scheduled power outages in Japan, due to the problems at Fukushima Daiichi. Are there any long term plans as far as returning power levels back to normal, or is the plan to continue with scheduled outages, indefinitely into the future?

Also, does anyone have any good links in regards to the energy/rationing problems in the greater Kanto area?

thanks!
by curious_one (guest)  

... 2011/4/4 14:08
there are still scheduled power outages in Japan, due to the problems at Fukushima Daiichi.

None of the scheduled power outages have been enforced in days. And considering the raising temperatures, I expect that we will see no or almost no outages for several weeks to come. Until summer. Then, the power consumption will increase a lot due to the high temperatures. It can only be speculated whether there will be outages. Maybe even more than we have seen in March.

Are there any long term plans as far as returning power levels back to normal, or is the plan to continue with scheduled outages, indefinitely into the future?

Of course, Japan is working at getting back to the normal levels as quickly as possible. I don't think that anything specific has been decided yet because this is a highly politically sensitive issue. So most what you hear these days is speculation only. But I trust Japan to get enough power back by next winter. Maybe even in time of the summer heat.

Also, does anyone have any good links in regards to the energy/rationing problems in the greater Kanto area?

These pages shows the current consumption level vs. capacity and the upcoming, planned outages:
http://setsuden.yahoo.co.jp/
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/index-e.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

It's the stress 2011/4/4 22:28
curious_one,

Uji is right. But it's actually the scheduling itself that is killing the nerves of, not too much for tourists but, the residents and workers.

People are being shown schedules that is practically saying "you might get blackouts tomorrow/next week or you may not." So they need to prepare for it anyway, worrying about frozen food or factory machines or about the fear of being pulled back to the days when they actually had to tolerate with toilets that don't flush for half a day.

Also, the blackouts don't really seem to be done fairly. Some areas are due while others (like my home) never are, and the reason for that doesn't always make sense.

All this stress is also affecting those who are not scheduled to experience blackouts, because it's either your friend or your friend's friend who is being depressed or angry over their homes and workplaces being scheduled for blackouts that doesn't make enough sense.

So while this may not affect many visitors, you may be doing your friend a favor by making laugh or smile and think about the happier things.

On a related note, the blackouts are not only due to the nuclear power plant destruction, but because major thermal power plants were damaged as well.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread