Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how much yen needed for 3 months? 2011/4/8 12:06
Hi,

Will be staying mostly in Asahikawa Hokkaido for most of the 3 months,starting June, and just wondering how much money will i need roughly? i may be traveling out of Asahikawa as well to see some neighboring sites. Mainly in Hokkaido.
I will be staying in a monthly mansion with my gf who lives there so accommodation won't be a big problem, i am paying the share of the rent. my estimate will be around 300,000 yen for the whole duration of stay, i'm wondering if that's too little?

I'm not very big on shopping, just want to wander around, eat good food
thanks for any advice
by ryu05  

... 2011/4/8 17:06
300,000 yen for 3 months is a tight budget unless you plan on splitting all living expenses (rent, utilities (if any), groceries) 50/50 with your girlfriend and cook most meals at home.

You don't state how much rent will be or what specific travel plans you have so it's hard to be certain.
It's possible but it would mean pretty much doing nothing while you're here.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/8 17:13
"Monthly apartment/mansion" that allows for two people would cost at least 100,000 yen a month - of course it depends on the location and other conditions as well, but considering that it comes with basic furniture and things, they are not inexpensive. So if you pay half of that, that would be 50,000 a month already. (You would want to check with your girlfriend how much that really cost.) So... that leaves you with 50,000 yen a month for the rest. Utilities? Food bills? That doesn't really sound like you'd be left with much for traveling...
by AK rate this post as useful

hm 2011/4/8 17:28
well for the first month i plan on just relaxing and do nothing much, will try to walk as much as i can, or whatever, food will be home cooked, we're both chefs, i've eaten out a lot in Asahikawa in the past

rent is roughly 100,000 yen for 2 people, we're splitting the cost for rent 70/30,I pay the bigger piece, utilities is included,
anyway, i'll manage something, good to know it's possible, i already have a return ticket, no worries there

I haven't planned much yet at the moment, i've been to Hokkaido quite a few times and have seen the ''touristy'' places, so this trip is just to kick back and relax
by ryu05 rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/8 17:32
Sorry but that means you've got only 30,000 yen per month left, to cover food, local transportation (if any), soft drinks during your walks, any entrance ticket to some place you might find interesting, everything! For 1,000 yen per day?
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/8 17:43
i guess i should bring some extra cash
anyway, thanks for the input.

got nothing to worry about
by ryu05 rate this post as useful

. 2011/4/9 14:47
for your own good I hope that "extra cash" would be at least 100,000 additional yen.

Not to having a highly-tight budget and worrying about it everyday is another way of allowing a relaxing time during your trip.
by sam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread