Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sending post package from Japan 2011/4/11 17:57
I'm currently on a holiday in Japan and have to send some stuff back home via mail (due to excessive shopping). I have read some jpost homepages and will be sending them via SAL. My question is that what I'm going to put on the senders address? I'm sending the parcel to myself, does the hotels address do the trick or does it need something special. Also: do post offices in Japan provide packing materials (box, bubblewrap, tape etc.)? If not, where I can get a cardboard box? And what is it called in japanese, thanks :)
by Simo Sirkka (guest)  

PO 2011/4/11 20:08
Make life easier for yourself & put the hotel address.
You can buy boxes there - they tend to be generous will taping boxes for you. They have bubble wrap though I can't remember if it's free or you pay for it.

Seamail is also an option.
check the Japan post website but sometimes breaking it into parcels of less than 2kg & sending at small packet rate can be cheaper.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/4/12 04:39
As already stated, you can buy shipping boxes from the Post Office, or you can get boxes for free from most supermarkets. They can usually to be found after you have paid for your items in the packing area. Look for a good heavy duty (double corrugated) box if you have fragile items. If you need a very big box, try looking on shopping streets in the evening, although you may have competition from the guys who collect cardboard off the street.

Brown packing tape can be bought from stationary stores, DIY stores or convenience stores.

If you are not in a hurry to get your stuff, the cheapest option would be standard surface mail.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

sender's address 2011/4/12 13:24
We sent 2 boxes via surface mail when we were last in Japan, and the helpful lady at the post office told us to put our home address as sender and delivery location. The post office also sold us plastic packing strips/tape to hold them securely, as well as adhesive tape. The 15kg in total cost about 11000 yen for postage.

I'm hoping they turn up in a month or so. We mailed them 2 days before the 9.0 quake and tsunami, and with any luck they weren't affected or lost....! Fingers crossed.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread