Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions regarding the bento tradition 2011/4/13 04:07
I'm working on origami bento boxes. They are for a origami creative contest honoring Japan. Anyway, there's a lot I don't know about the bento lunches that I need to in order to work on the concept for the photos I must take. That's the reason of this post, hoping you can help me out with some questions:

1. When you take a bento box to school or work what other utensils and containers do you pack besides the box?

2. Is there a particular way to organize those utensils and containers on the table before eating?

3. Do you pack something to drink? What do adults, and what do kids, usually drink with a bento lunch? Would that be between bites or after having finished eating everything?

4. What kind of chopsticks do you use in a bento lunch (in school or work)?

Thank you! I must have the photos ready pretty soon so I hope you can help me with this questions as soon as possible ; )
by Gerardo (guest)  

. 2011/4/14 01:41
Gerardo

1. It's up to you to decide what utensils and containers to use or not use.

These are photos of typical homemade bento for high teens and adults.
http://www.google.co.jp/images?um=1&hl=ja&rls=com.microsoft%3A*%3AIE-S...

And typical utensils

And typical drink containers
http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=%E6%B0%B4%E7%AD%92&rls=com.microsoft:...

2. I'm not sure what you mean by question 2. You are supposed to eat your bento directly from the box, if the bento is just for you.

3. Unsweatened tea is the supposed to be the ideal drink for your daily bento. At school, a classmate in charge would typically fetch wheat tea (mugicha) in a big kettle. Wheat tea is caffein-free. Nowadays, a lot of schools have vending machines that allow students to buy various drinks such as canned or bottled tea, juice, or sometimes coffee.

At the office, you might go to the kitchen to help yourself to green tea, or you might buy your favorite bottled/canned drink like Chinese oolong tea. Otherwise, you might go to a convenience store to buy instant miso soup that you'd eat/drink while eating your bento.

4. People use all kinds of chopsticks. Sometimes a plastic pair comes with your bento box.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

More bento questions 2011/4/15 13:22
Thanks for your answer Uco...nice name by the way. You helped me with most of my questions.

Here there are a few more. I hope you, Uco and anyone else, can help me out with them:

1. Is it more common to drink tea from a thermos or from a tea cup during a bento lunch?
2. Are there any japanesse plastic tea cups?
3. Do you drink the tea after you've finished eating or during?
4. Are you supposed to arrange the table in a particular way before eating? Like some things should go to your right, some other to your left and things like that.
5. Would it be normal to use disposable chopsticks with a bento box?
6. How common is the use of paper covers (for example in origami) for the chopsticks?

Thank you : )
by Gerardo (guest) rate this post as useful

bentos in my experience 2011/4/15 16:05
1. When you take a bento box to school or work what other utensils and containers do you pack besides the box?

A pair of chopsticks (sometimes in its own case). That together with the bento box are often carried in a bag, or wrapped up in a furoshiki (like a large handkerchief)

2. Is there a particular way to organize those utensils and containers on the table before eating?

Not really, since most people don't spend time to arrange their bento before tearing into it. If you were to arrange it I'd say you'd have the chopsticks in front and the drink behind and to the side.

3. Do you pack something to drink? What do adults, and what do kids, usually drink with a bento lunch? Would that be between bites or after having finished eating everything?

Tea, either bought bottled or carried in a thermos. Most people probably drink it while eating.

4. What kind of chopsticks do you use in a bento lunch (in school or work)?

Most people probably bring regular chopsticks, often carried in their own case. Some people bring disposable ones though.

1. Is it more common to drink tea from a thermos or from a tea cup during a bento lunch?

Depends on what you brought it in. If you brought it in a thermos then you'd probably drink it from the thermos cap (which doubles as a cup). Otherwise, you'd drink it straight from the pet bottle that you bought it in.

2. Are there any japanesse plastic tea cups?

Sure, but I don't think most people carry a separate tea cup with them for lunch.

3. Do you drink the tea after you've finished eating or during?

During

4. Are you supposed to arrange the table in a particular way before eating? Like some things should go to your right, some other to your left and things like that.

I don't think so. Most bento consist of just the bento box and a drink, so there's not much variation on how you could lay that out. Note that a bento is a rather informal meal.

5. Would it be normal to use disposable chopsticks with a bento box?

Sure, in fact all store bought bento come with disposable chopsticks.

6. How common is the use of paper covers (for example in origami) for the chopsticks?

Probably uncommon to never.

Check out this link:

Basically take one of the less exotic looking of those and add a pair of chopsticks and a bottle of tea and I think you've got your typical bento. Perhaps you could upload a sketch of the concept that you're thinking of and we could give suggestions on that.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Just a few more bento questions 2011/4/16 15:23
Thank you yllwsmrf. You have helped me clear out a lot of questions. I'm thinking I won't be too realistic, for instance a japanesse tea cup will look more interesting then a common thermos or pet bottle in a photo honoring japan. What do you think?

This time I only have three questions.

1. So would it be too unusual to use this to pack everyday chopsticks?
http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/chopstick.htm
http://www.etsy.com/listing/46435318/elegant-japanese-paper-chopstick-...

2. Are chopstick holders used in bento lunches? I mean the little utensil used to avoid touching the table with the tip of the chopsticks?

3. Do significantly smaller bento boxes exist? I don't know, maybe they're used for desserts instead oflunch?

This is intended for anyone who can help me with the answers... thank you!

As a favor 2011/4/17 22:09
HI,

I sent my last questions around two days ago. I wanted to ask you (you who are reading this right now) if you could try to answer them for me. They are the three short questions exactly on top of this.

Thank you for your help ; )

bento 2011/4/18 10:22
The forum tends to be less active on the weekends, so thanks for your understanding of any delays that causes.

I'm thinking I won't be too realistic, for instance a japanesse tea cup will look more interesting then a common thermos or pet bottle in a photo honoring japan. What do you think?

I agree. You could make a very attractive bento place setting that doesn't have to be wholly accurate or common and still look good.

1. So would it be too unusual to use this to pack everyday chopsticks?
http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/chopstick.htm
http://www.etsy.com/listing/46435318/elegant-japanese-paper-chopstick-...

Probably not unheard of, but I would find it unusual. Perhaps something simpler would be in order.

2. Are chopstick holders used in bento lunches? I mean the little utensil used to avoid touching the table with the tip of the chopsticks?

Its called a hashioki, and I don't think its something that is commonly carried in a bento set. However, I think a simple origami one would probably look nice included in your place setting.

3. Do significantly smaller bento boxes exist? I don't know, maybe they're used for desserts instead oflunch?

Sure, they come in all sizes. Some are rather small for the those with light appetites.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread