Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gift for short stay apartment 2011/4/18 20:40
Hi everyone

I hope someone can give me a bit of advice. My wife and I are travelling to Japan in 3 weeks, and are staying in a hotel in Tokyo for 4 nights before travelling down to Kyoto for the next 7 days. In Kyoto, we have booked to stay in an apartment, with a small kitchen, bathroom, living area etc and we have agreed with the owner / landlord when to meet him at the apartment to pay for it and get the keys etc.

Now I wouldn't consider taking a gift to give to anyone at the hotel in Tokyo, but for some reason I feel it would be a nice gesture to give one to the landlord of the apartment in Kyoto. I just feel like it is a little more personal, and I'd like to demonstrate that I am at least aware of the cultural differences between us. Would this is over the top, or even surprising to him, or would he expect something like that? If it ok, am I right in thinking that you don't wrap the present, and keep to fairly low value? If so, what would I get??

Thanks in advance :-)

by zomboolio  

Silly? 2011/4/19 03:25
Seems silly to worry about gifting something to someone who you are paying for a service. No difference there from US. It may make him feel awkward since you're the customer to whom he should be overly polite.

Either way, Japanese are huge on wrapping, so I would say if you do give a gift, it should be wrapped.
by reverser rate this post as useful

. 2011/4/19 04:45
I see no issue with giving the landlord a gift, but that may be because, like zomboolio, I am from the UK and it's a cultural trait we share with the Japanese (ie being polite). Just because the landlord is providing you a service doesn't mean you shouldn't give them a gift, and lest we forget, when people sign up for long-term apartment rentals they usually have to pay a cash gift payment of 1-3 months rent anyway.

I know from experience of living in Japan that even small gifts are welcome. I gave some nice chocolates to the ladies at my local Japanese post office for all the help they'd given me over the year I lived there, and they were over the moon. Perhaps some UK handmade chocolates or sweets would be nice. If not, something else that you can only bring from the UK.
by Hmm (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread