Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can A Non Japanese Be A Police Officer? 2011/4/22 15:07
Hello

I'm a 26 year old Canadian thinking about moving and living in japan. The easiest road for me seems to be ADL, but I have a questions. I currently hold a BA in criminology and sociology and wondered if once in japan I could apply to the police force? I don't know if the question has ever been asked but wanted to know. Is there any laws or constitutional laws preventing me from doing this.

I also plan on staying in japan and not returning to Canada IE making japan my new homeland.

I know point of views and obstacles would stand in the way but wanted to know if you can even apply? and yes i would need to know fluent Japanese reading and writing. :D
by Mar044  

Only for japanese citizens 2011/4/23 11:39
No, you can not be a police officer in Japan. Handling the security of the japanese citizens can only be done by japanese citizens and this is how sovereignty works. I do not know countries where foreigners can be police officers and arrest citizens. Actually Japan is a very homogeneous country and I think it will look weird to imagine a foreign looking person asking for an ID to a japanese citizen.

One more important thing: 26 years is already too old to apply. If we think that you need 10 years to be a japanese citizen, you are definitely to old to apply. By the way, my wife's high school old friend is a police officer (motorcycle) and he told me few months ago that if a police officer get married to a foreigner in Japan, he must resign because of a law about foreign intelligence matter.
Only japanese citizens can handle national matters: politics, firemen, police, army, coast guards and everything related to sovereignty.
by French black (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/23 11:56
Using my detective skills, I searched the archives and came up with this thread from last year:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+71998
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

opps 2011/4/23 12:31
I should have said that i was aware that you need to be a citizen of japan in order to apply as here in Canada it is the same

but seeing the thread link, it would take me some time to get a citizen so understand, thanks for the answer.
by Mar044 rate this post as useful

Canadian Embassy 2011/4/23 16:32
Why not check for jobs at the Canadian Embassy in Japan? I'm sure they come available once in awhile. I've met many Japanese here in Japan who have lived years abroad in other countries by working at the Japan Embassies there. I think you might need Japanese language skills to work here in Japan though. Good luck!
by aya (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread