Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hair colour and tattoos in Japan 2011/4/25 06:03
Hi, I'm thinking about teaching English in Japan when I finish my degree. But I have a few queries about the dress codes in place in schools. Hopefully I'll be working with adults.
At the moment my hair is dyed a blood-red colour and I'm wondering how much of a problem that would be? Of course I can change it but if I don't have to that would be great.
Also, I have a tattoo on one of my legs. Is this going to be a big issue? I've read that businesses, etc don't like female employees wearing trousers, which ruins my plans to simply stick to pants. Are tights/stockings ok?
by Henko (guest)  

It depends.... 2011/4/25 14:31
If you want to teach english in an actual school, such as a middle/high school or university then you might have some problems. Red hair would not be an issue, as long it looks somewhat natural (natural being up to the employer). The tattoo could be a much bigger issue though, in most of the actual schools both the students and teachers would have a uniform to wear, and it may or may not include stockings.

If you were going to teach english at a prep-school, or just something like a night class then you can get away with much more.
by Nascosto rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/25 16:18
I work in a high school and I've never worn a skirt in all the years I've been here, I always wear pants. And my hair is bleached blonde. Guess it depends on where you want to teach, coz an office environment, opposed to a school, might be different. But as long as you keep the tattoo covered, should be no problem at all.
by Mollii (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/28 15:20
I doubt the skirt thing would be much of an issue. While it's true that many companies prefer their female employees to wear skirts, it is rarely an explicit rule. You could get away with wearing pants easily.

And stockings are usually acceptable (or in many cases, preferable) to cover your legs with. If not, you could wear a bandage over the tattoo and skin colored stockings to cover that. :)
by Bobbi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread