Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I get my boyfriend a long term visa? 2011/4/26 14:30
I'm a Filipino who has a long term resident visa(3 years) in japan and I want to invite my filipino boyfriend/fiance here in japan for a long term stay.But they say that it would be difficult for him to be granted by the Ministry of Japan of a long term visa so I figured if it is possible for me to invite him first as a TOURIST and marry him here in Japan, if I may do so. Will he be granted a LONG TERM RESIDENT VISA for him to be able to stay with me permanently and to work here as well? And what are the requirements and how long will it take? or Can I ask for any advice? NEED HELP... thank you
by meimei181992  

marrying as a LTR 2011/4/26 15:25
As far as I can find out, spouses of Long Term Residents don't qualify for spouse or dependent visas. The book that I'm referring to recommends that those that marry long term residents should contact a lawyer and would have to apply for special permission for residence (LTR) to stay in the country long term.

I figured if it is possible for me to invite him first as a TOURIST and marry him here in Japan, if I may do so. Will he be granted a LONG TERM RESIDENT VISA for him to be able to stay with me permanently and to work here as well?

I think this may be possible. At the very least, he can apply for LTR once you are married (no matter what country you register your marriage in), however I'm not sure if applying in Japan increases his chance of getting LTR or not. LTR definitely isn't guaranteed in either case.

And what are the requirements and how long will it take?

Once you are married he can apply for LTR. What you submit depends on what country you register your marriage in. It can take anywhere from a weeks to several months to process.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thank you so much.. but 2011/4/26 15:43
I'm just wondering though, Is it possible for him to be granted a LTR even though we're not yet married? well my parents are willing to help me get him. My mother who's a Filipino and my foster father who's a japanese national, are willing to be his guarantor.. We are planning to get a Certificate of Eligibility for him, is that possible?
by meimei181992 rate this post as useful

LTR 2011/4/26 15:56
Long term residents are for people with ties to Japan that wouldn't otherwise qualify for a resident visa. Being married to you would be his tie to Japan, so it is highly unlikely that he would qualify for LTR without being married to you unless he has some other significant ties that you don't mention. His best chance (assuming he doesn't qualify for a work visa, or some other visa on his own merit) is for you two to get married and then apply for LTR.

thanks to 2011/4/26 16:07
yllwsmrf..

It was really a great help. Maybe, I'll give it a try to get him CoE, if it doesn't work then I'll just invite him as a tourist,marry him here and let him apply for a change of status.

Thank you again :)
by meimei181992 rate this post as useful

plan 2011/4/26 17:54
Sounds like a plan. Note that LTR is a petition for special residency which isn't the same as a standard change of status of residence. I would consider consulting an immigration lawyer for legal advice on your particular situation. You'll likely need their help anyway if your fiance wishes to petition for LTR. Check out your local city or ward office which often provide foreign residents with free legal advice.

. 2011/4/27 01:01
CoE for what?

You can't just get a CoE. A CoE needs a status behind it.

You get a CoE for being a temporary visitor, or long term visitor, or professor, or journalist, you don't just get a blank CoE.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/4/27 01:05
I take it the reason you have a special "Long Term Resident" visa is because your foster father is Japanese. That categorizes it into one of the "special" categories immigration reserves.

IF you two get married, the best I can imagine is he would get a "Dependent Visa", however that is only applicable if you are married.

Another option is, look for a full time job for him, and try going down the work-visa option. It's a real possibility.

As mentioned, you can't just get a blank CoE, a CoE needs to be filed with a purpose (tourist, work, etc).
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

LTR 2011/4/27 10:24
CoE for what?

You can't just get a CoE. A CoE needs a status behind it.

The OP is considering applying for a temporary visitor visa as mentioned in the first post. That is the COE she is referring to.

IF you two get married, the best I can imagine is he would get a "Dependent Visa", however that is only applicable if you are married.

According to the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, Dependent Visas only apply to the dependents of those that hold "regular" visa types. LTR is a "special" visa type so spouses of LTR holders can't qualify for Dependent Visas. Instead they would need to apply for LTR themselves, or qualify for a different "regular" visa on their own merits.

You can read the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act here:

http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail/?re=02&dn=1&x=0&y=0...

Its explained in clearer English on this page from the Osaka Information Services for Foreign Residents site:

http://www.ofix.or.jp/life/eng/immigration/09.html

Another option is, look for a full time job for him, and try going down the work-visa option. It's a real possibility.

Yes, that is an option to consider assuming he qualifies for a work visa (ba degree, or relevant work experience). Another option is a student visa (requires lots of money). These are the "regular" visa types I was referring to that he could qualify for on his own. They all have their requirements and drawbacks, so check out all your options and figure out which works best for your situation.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that you should seek some proper legal help. LTR applications are different from and more difficult than regular visa applications. And as I mentioned earlier, there are many free legal services out there, so seeking out a lawyer doesn't have to cost tons off money.

It doesn't look like its been updated for some time, but the Solidarity Network for Migrants Japan page may be able to direct you toward some legal help:

http://www.jca.apc.org/migrant-net/English/English.html

yllw... 2011/4/27 16:20
um no, she said she will apply COE first... see:

[[Maybe, I'll give it a try to get him CoE, if it doesn't work then I'll just invite him as a tourist,marry him here and let him apply for a change of status.]]

maybe she means COE for LTR. Or maybe she is confused... But I say dont waste your time for the LTR application if you are not married.. Just invite him as a tourist in the first place, get married, and change the status.

There is no way LTR would be approved for him. Why? just because he is your boyfriend? Thats not going to fly with immigration. If that worked, a lot of people would be inviting boyfriends and girlfriends over. And, you could still break up at anytime, so to immigration, he doesnt have any tie to Japan unless you are married.
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

ltr 2011/4/27 17:30
Maybe, I'll give it a try to get him CoE, if it doesn't work then I'll just invite him as a tourist,marry him here and let him apply for a change of status.

While the visa type was not explicitly mention in that post, she was referring to an application for LTR as that was the other option we were discussing (LTR first vs Visitor then change to LTR). On its own the post may be ambiguous, but in context with the rest of the thread it makes sense.

But I say dont waste your time for the LTR application if you are not married.. Just invite him as a tourist in the first place, get married, and change the status.

I agree, in my (non-expert) opinion, I think coming over on a tourist visa first and then petitioning for LTR after you marry may be the best method. Just be aware that the risk is that he will have to leave if his petition is turned down. Also note that as I mentioned earlier, it appears that you cannot use the "change status of resident" procedure to change from a Temporary visitor to LTR.

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02-format.htm...

. 2011/4/27 23:36
it appears that you cannot use the "change status of resident" procedure to change from a Temporary visitor to LTR.

It's covered by "etc" under #13.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

ltr 2011/4/29 00:19
I stand corrected. After looking over the form again, it seems I was mixing up section 17 (or relationship or status) with section 13 (desired status). So it looks like a simple application for change of status is possible. Note that this may not increase the chance of approval, but it does make the paperwork easier.

reply to this thread