Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are scarifications frowned upon? 2011/5/1 04:31
So I've learned that tattoos are frowned upon in Japan. Especially in public places, like gym, pools and onsens. This is the main reason I have never gotten a tattoo, I dream of visiting Japan. Anyways, can you tell me if the body modification of scarification is also not welcome? Or is it just tattoos? What about piercings?
by G3n3vi3v3  

Culture 2011/5/3 10:07
Hi
In Japanese wordg‘Ì”¯•†‚±‚ê‚𕃕ê‚ÉŽó‚­‚ ‚¦‚Ěʂ¹‚´‚é‚ÍF‚ÌŽn‚ß‚È‚è
Its Japanese Culture.
by ybaba rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/3 10:23
If by scarification you mean etching permanent decoration/pattern into the skin, that is likely to be considered the same as tattoo - so be prepared to be politely shown the door if you try to enter a public bath, etc.

Body piercing - pierced ears (earlobes) have become more common than before, but body piercing is less common (though on the rise). I don't know about the rules for visitors to bath, hot spring, etc., with body piercings.

I admit the sentiment in earlier poster's comment "not altering your body, hair, and skin, keeping it the way it was given to you from your parents, is the beginning of good devotion (to your parents)" has been the traditional norm in Japan, but it has been changing.... otherwise there would be noone who go for cosmetic surgery...
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/5/3 13:48
G3n3vi3v3,

It depends on what you mean by "frowned upon" and "scarification."

For example, a lot of Japanese have the impression that tattoos are something that violent people engrave. So when they see tattooed people, they fear they might come to you and punch you or offend you or whatever.

On the other hand, a lot of Japanese have the impression that body piercing is something that weird people do but that those weird people are not necessarily violent people. So when they see body-pierced people, they might think that it's disgusting to look at but don't necessarily feel the need to avoid them.

As for scarification, the first thing that come to mind for most Japanese people is probably hurting their own arm due to some kind of anxiety or in hope to commit suicide. So when they see someone with numerous organized scars on her/his arm, they might think that the person has some kind of mental problem and the scars might be something anbearable to look at, but they won't think that the person can be violent.

Either way, tattoos and body-piercing aren't as common a fashion in Japan as they are in Europe. Self-injury is quite a common and serious problem in Japan, but I've never heard of it being some sort of fashion.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

scarification is... 2011/5/3 21:39
Thank you for the insight.
Scarification has been practised for many years in tribal communities.
According to wikipedia the definitions is as followed: ''Scarifying involves scratching, etching, or superficially cutting designs, pictures, or words into the skin as a permanent body modification.[1]''
by G3n3vi3v3 rate this post as useful

irezumi 2011/5/3 23:33
Scarification has been practised for many years in tribal communities.
According to wikipedia the definitions is as followed: ''Scarifying involves scratching, etching, or superficially cutting designs, pictures, or words into the skin as a permanent body modification.[1]''

To the Japanese, both "tattoo" and "scarification" are the same things which is expressed in the Japanese language as "irezumi."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

self injury scars 2011/5/6 06:13
Hello!

I just wondered... how do people react to noticeable self harm scars in japan in general?

I have a lot of them up and down both my arms, most are white now, but they are still noticeable... I just fear that people will be somehow offended or something by it!

thank you!
by yad (guest) rate this post as useful

@yad 2011/5/6 08:38
The same way as people in your home country react to them, basically. Some people won't realise what they are, some people will realise but ignore them, some will be sympathetic, others not so much. There's no real cultural reason for people to have a particular reaction, different people here will have different reactions, if they react at all.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread