Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tayuu/Oiran still in existence in Kyoto? 2011/5/2 00:13
question as mentioned in the title above.

how many are still in the profession till this day?

and if yes, do they still provide pleasures to their patrons in the sexual sense, or are they now catering more to the preservation of their own kind of arts at teahouses, just like the geiko & maiko do?

also, is there any difference between both titles?

last but not least, IF tayuus still do exist and are still catering to the sexual demands of whatever rich/powerful clients they have, in what situation would a girl usually join such a profession? and how often do they usually get called upon for an appointment?

just for curiosity sake as this is the first time i am hearing about them, after reading up about geikos & maikos for a long time!
by gerry (guest)  

. 2011/5/2 18:02
The simple answer is "NO".

Please note that prostitution is illegal in Japan.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/5/2 23:08
There are three tayuu at Wachigaiya: Hanaogi-tayuu, Tsukasa-tayuu and Kisaragi-tayuu. They are keeping the tradition and culture as dance artists. I don't remember well but I think I heard the way they tie "obi" are differet between "tayuu" and "oiran"
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

thank you 2011/5/2 23:18
to ikuyo,

thank you so much for your answer; it's a relief knowing that these beautiful japanese girls arent doing their professions of the past anymore (:

cheers.
by gerry (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/5/3 00:08
Just to add... These GIRLS are more like your mom or grandma, depending on your age;)
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Oiran only in Edo 2011/5/3 08:05
also, is there any difference between both titles?

Wikipedia says:
"Tayuu" was a title given to a yuujo, prostitute, at the highest rank in the Edo period. Tayuu in Yoshiwara, Edo (present Tokyo) disappered in the mid 18th century during the Edo period while those at the higher ranks became called "oiran."

That means, "oiran" was the title used not in Kyoto and Osaka, but only in Edo.
by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/5/9 21:03
@ikuyo

hehe yeah, saw some pictures of hanaogi tayuu and the rest on flickr a few days back, but they still look amazing in their garments nonetheless! ;)
by gerry (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread