Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transgender/GID steps in Japan 2011/5/6 17:55
Hello all,
I'm moving from Canada to Japan in about 3 months. I, like most foreigners working in Japan will be working as an English teacher. Anyway, I'm in my early 20's and I've been dealing with GID for awhile, but because of family and work related circumstances I have not taken steps to transition. Since I will be in a new environment and detached from the social and family restrictions where I live now, I want to make the effort to transition in Japan. I have many questions and would sincerely appreciate any helpful response/advice, thanks!

Questions:
1. Does the Japanese NHI help pay for GID related services? Hormone therapy, counseling, etc...
2. How does privacy work in regards to NHI/GID and someone's job? Do they disclose any info that would flag your employer of your condition. (I was hired on as a man, so I may have to be discrete about my transition for as long as I can).
3. Will there be some asterisk on my gaijin card or something once I begin treatment? Lol, I've never been to Japan before and I'm so unfamiliar with how things work.

by RouxRoux  

Transgender/GID steps in Japan 2011/5/7 10:02
RouxRoux,

1. Does the Japanese NHI help pay for GID related services? Hormone therapy, counseling, etc...

As far as I know, counseling is covered, but any treatment, including hormone therapy, is not.

2. How does privacy work in regards to NHI/GID and someone's job? Do they disclose any info that would flag your employer of your condition. (I was hired on as a man, so I may have to be discrete about my transition for as long as I can).

I don't think so. Standard medical confidentiality applies. However, there will of course come a point when you will have to explain your situation to your employer and be prepared for the fact that not all employers will necessarily be sympathetic.

3. Will there be some asterisk on my gaijin card or something once I begin treatment?

No.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

:) 2011/5/7 16:39
Thank you. I know that this might have been an unusual series of questions, so I appreciate your reply.
I understand that there will come a time where I'll have to approach my employer, but I'm under a relatively short contract. Perhaps, I may fulfill my obligation without having to say anything. All the while, I most likely will look for another form of employment. Thanks again.
Roux
by RouxRoux rate this post as useful

warning 2011/5/7 21:52
i know this may be a sensitive topic but i want to warn you that you're going to be in for a big shock when you get here - japan is very accepting of stuff like new halfs/transgender/etc people on the surface, but professionally and medically i think it's going to be REALLY difficult for you here.

you mentioned being detached from family and other restrictions but i believe you're going to find a whole new world of even more strict and uncomfortable restrictions and preconceptions when you arrive here.

if you are hired as a man and look like a man when you start and change your appearance to a woman in the middle of your contract you can fully expect to be fired - there are laws to protect employees but i'm certain if you took it to court you'd lose.

just be prepared for things like this - japan is pretty progressive but not in the industries you're looking for work in.

if you were working in a salon or fashion for example, that would be a different story and it would be absolutely no problem. still no medical benefits though.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Good luck! 2011/5/8 13:59
... is really all I can say.

I was living in Japan for 2 years and it is a really strict society when you want to immerse yourself fully in it. There's always the thought that "a Gaijin will always be a gaijin". Like what was Winterwolf mentioned, it is very possible that you will face outside discrimination from some people, but like you say yourself, your family pressure will not be there.

Of course they consider you a gaijin (even my teacher who worked for 30 years is still treated so just because he looks different). Like in all societies, the younger generation in this age are much more open than the older generation, so you might find making friends with your peers and younger people easier than those older than you.

You'll face many many obstacles, especially in the ultimately conservative and 'island-minded' Japan, but should you find a place where you belong and are happy, then all's well!

So, I wish you the best of luck, and hope you reach your goal sooner than later. Of course, most of Thailand is open to all of these. I myself have a few transgender friends.

(I hope I didn't offend anybody with anything I said here)
by noto rate this post as useful

A possible alternative 2011/5/8 18:01
I wonder whether you have considered an alternative: to maintain the appearance of your original gender just at work, while proceeding with your explorations of transitioning in other areas. Of course this wouldn't be likely to succeed if you are in a small town. I know this could make you feel like you were not being true to yourself, but perhaps you will let yourself consider this accomdation to a rather conventional society...and then when you returned to Canada, you could do so as one who has made as much of a transition as your physical appearance will support. In any case, I wish you well in what is likely to be a difficult time in your life, and I hope it is not more difficult than it needs to be.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Go for it 2011/5/11 14:55
One problem I foresee would be with the medical profession, especially if you are not truly fluent in Japanese.
I know that in the early months after arriving to Canada it wasn't easy for me to deal with medical staff that didn't speak any other language than English...and I was only asking about average medical problems... they treated me as if my limited language skills meant I was stupid...

The Japanese, as other conservative societies, are accepting of differences as long as they concern a TV or movie personality...when they have to deal with the person themselves it isn't that easy.
If you were to have a home in a big enough anonymous apartment building in a big town it would be easy enough to go out and live your life, after work, without anyone noticing.

I wish you the best of luck. You are young and NOW is the time to be true to yourself, no matter what. I have known, through nurses at work, several people that waited until they were in their 60s (and their children were grown up) and regretted not having had the courage to become themselves much earlier.

I hope that I do not sound silly or insensitive...I truly admire your courage
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Hope this helps 2011/5/15 09:53
Hi,
I am transgender and have lived in Japan for nearly 3 years. I teach English to High Schools students. I have never disclosed my Transgender status to anyone and have only had to once when seeking medical treatment. I transitioned at 18 years old and had SRS at age 24. I am now 40 years old. The nurses and doctors were very understanding and kind. I felt treated like any other woman at the clinic I visited. I am married and find life here mush easier than in my home country. I find my foreign status is what is always noticed first. People may wonder about why I don't have children and maybe some people wonder if I am transgender. I have never had any problems other than a child wondering about my gender and it was asking out of curiosity rather than anything horrible. I follow the rules and respect my friends and colleagues. I think if you do that you will be fine. At one of my high schools we had a transgender student and she was treated very well by staff. I think it is like anywhere you live if you choose your friends and respect the culture you are living in. No culture or country is an ideal situation. My homeland has very liberal laws but you can still encounter discrimination. I have many friends and get on with all the teachers and students that I work with. I respect myself but most importantly respect others! This goes a long way in Japan.

by Rose40 rate this post as useful

:) 2011/5/21 14:19
Thank you all so much for your comments. I look forward to my new start and will take everyone's advise to heart. Thank you again for sharing.
by RouxRoux rate this post as useful

I too, am transgendered. 2011/5/30 13:34
Hi there,

I am transgendered myself, transitioned a few years ago.

I started under medical care and purchasing hormones online for they were a LOT cheaper and came from the same supplier, my dr supports me in this.

Anyway, there are cheap ways to do things, I purchase 70 days worth of oestrogen (injectable) for $10.80 USD, legally. Locally, to have a compounding pharmacist make the drug is approximately 100$ a month, huge difference.

Theres a point, does anyone know if it is legal to import drugs into Japan?

I intend on moving there in years to come, not too far away I hope. Moving with my partner somewhere (hopefully) around Shibuya and teaching "Computer English". (Or maybe a better job if I can find one)
by LeFox rate this post as useful

reply to this thread