Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Men's clothing in japan 2011/5/12 07:38
I will be studying in Nagoya for one month which happens to be the start of summer. I usually wear a khaki color of nice, non cargo shorts and a polo, but I was told that men do not normally wear shorts in Japan, is this true? I'm a big guy and prefer not to sweat all day
by Kevin (guest)  

nope 2011/5/12 09:38
nobody going to give you a huge time for wearing shorts......BUT dont enter a temple with them or your most likely going to be asked to leave as its a major sign of disrespect.

but if your just walking around then no it wont be a problem, but most japanese men do not wear shorts.
by Mar044 rate this post as useful

shorts 2011/5/12 10:21
Older Japanese men will definitely be wearing long pants, but its not uncommon to see younger Japanese men in jeans or shorts. So I wouldn't worry about it unless you are attending a formal event. No one will give your shorts a second thought (if they even notice at all), especially if you look like a tourist.

BUT dont enter a temple with them or your most likely going to be asked to leave as its a major sign of disrespect.

No one will ask you to leave a shrine or temple if you are wearing shorts. Most of the tourists there will probably be wearing shorts as well.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/5/12 10:37
The vast majority of people will not care.
No one will make you leave a temple or shrine.

The only occasion I can imagine that it would be inappropriate would be if you were attending work, formal events (eg weddings, funerals etc) then I can imagine where it would be inappropriate in a shrine or temple, but for general visits, I can't imagine why not.

No one will give you the third degree about it.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/5/12 18:38
Kevin,

Are you going to be a college student? If so, knee high shorts is the summer trend for male college kids in Japan. Don't worry about it. You can go to school wearing it, and of course you can hang out in it (even at temples).

If you're a high school student, however, most high schools have strict school regulations, and male students are usually required to wear long pants.

But hey, linen pants can often be cooler than cotton shorts.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread