Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kawaii: do they mean it? 2011/5/16 07:28
I find the "kawaii" culture of Japan very interesting. I mean, not only is the word commonly uttered by the Japanese (my Japanese friends at least) in their daily lives but also "kawaii" has become a standard of "beauty" in that there is no distinction between "cute", "pretty", or "beautiful"

I often hear my friends and so many other Japanese use the word to describe a person or a thing. My friend often uses the word to describe me. However, my question is that whether every time they do, do they really mean it? Or is that part of their culture to say a person/thing is kawaii even if no? And how am I, as a foreigner, supposed to react whenever they say I am kawaii (though I think I am not...at least in their standards as what I have observed so far).

Ideas?
by lastmockingbird  

? 2011/5/16 14:20
lastmockingbird,

What do you mean? You seem to have answered all your questions by yourself.

As you've suggested, the word "kawaii" is like a general compliment. An equavelent to the English "cool." It's not even a "culture" here. It's only that the English-speaking culture imported this foreign word to them and made it into a culture in their own countries. Here in Japan, people had been using this word for decades if not centuries.

Do they mean it? Unless they think you're uncool, of course they mean it. Why not?

How are you supposed to react to it? How about "arigatou"? Being a "foreigner" has nothing to do with how you're supposed to react to it.

You think you're not kawaii? Then why do you wear your hair and clothes that way? Are you trying to look ugly and act bad?
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

you look good!! 2011/5/17 06:02
Japanese are generally very much modest and they are always broad minded when it comes about giving compliments.They love to encourage.Its not that they are faking.

I think by saying Kawaii they means that you look nice today/your dressing is nice/you look fresh.From them it comes as whole kawaii. You should appreciate and say arigato.
by Mitxi (guest) rate this post as useful

enjoy it... 2011/5/17 06:27
...as long as it's not "kowai"

to avoid that misunderstanding, my wife and kids tend to say "uts'kushi" (sp?) instead. I dont say anything, but I do tend to think it!
by Pious rate this post as useful

reply to this thread