Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Samuari/ ninja/ sumo training and sites? 2011/5/16 17:48
Im getting to Tokyo on the 24th and need a hand with what to do! Im really interested in the samuari and ninja things and want to to some training or a course with some local Japanese masters! Also the same with sumo wrestling! If anyones got any ideas id love to hear, thanks alot :)
by Jack Burns (guest)  

.. 2011/5/17 11:08
sigh, where to start with this.

you can view sumo, martial arts, history of samurai and "ninja"
BUT

you cant learn to be a ninja or samurai.
you can take martial arts but I know fist hand that serious martial arts schools will not take you without a letter of introduction and will accept you only if you are staying in japan to train.

i recommend you learn the history of what you post but dont expect to go to japan and throwing ninja stars climbing walls and cutting stuff with swords.

as polite as i could be as a Kando student.
by Mar044 rate this post as useful

cultural experiences 2011/5/17 13:06
Im really interested in the samuari and ninja things and want to to some training or a course with some local Japanese masters! Also the same with sumo wrestling! If anyones got any ideas id love to hear, thanks alot :)

Many travellers are just looking for a fun cultural experience, and there are a lot of different opportunities for these types of tourists.

Both JTB Sunrise Tours and HIS offer guided tours where you can go and watch a sumo practice. I recall seeing one where you could participate in the practice and get some real training (albeit for fun). Likewise for ninja and samurai. Both companies offer tours where you learn about the history and can dress up as ninja or samurai. They teach you some techniques and part of the tours include throwing throwing stars, playing with swords, and possibly even climbing walls. The samurai tours include a mock "chambara" sword battle.

You can check out some of the tours here:

http://www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx?aff=GMT&tc=GMT01TYOOCUL...
http://hisexperience.jp/culturalactivities/ninja.html (seems to be down at the moment)

and an article about them here:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/tokyo/0085022061.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

,, 2011/5/17 14:38
i stand corrected, although somewhat concerned on that information. ..I think I have to take out my frustration with a Kendo tomorrow on that...i believe in people experiencing japan and its rich history and culture, samurai. ninja etc, but as a novelty im conflicted as I dont want people taking pictures pretending to be kendo masters when really they payed to dress up, although i guess I could see the fun in it,..
by Mar044 rate this post as useful

dress up 2011/5/17 15:38
but as a novelty im conflicted as I dont want people taking pictures pretending to be kendo masters when really they payed to dress up

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. People are paying to dress up as historical figures, like at disneyland where you can dress up as cowboys or princesses and have your photos taken. No one will be mistaking them for kendo masters (especially since modern kendo masters don't dress like ninjas or samurai either).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread