Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bisexuality in Japan 2011/5/19 02:54
I know there is this old thread http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?1+32971 (Congratulations, english guy86!)

I've never visited Japan but I hope to one day. I'm an American young adult (female, 25) and Bisexual (Dating either gender, the gender of the person doesn't matter).

Perhaps this is just generalizing, but this is what I understand about sexuality there: I know that sexuality in Japan is not considered shameful due to religious views like in the West, but instead it can be seen as shameful due to family issues or personal viewpoints. Sex is something that's private to people, however, and there are gay/lesbian and probably crossdressing districts in Japan. But how does Japan (or at least support groups such as GLBTQ organizations) react towards Bisexuals? (Transgender people must have a tough time, too...)

I'm assuming the younger generation are more accepting of things that are "different" compared to the older generation.

There are at least shoujo/shounen-ai and yuri/yaoi subgenres of anime and manga (and doujinshi of course XD) which is somewhat comforting (Yes, I'm an otaku.), but those are just subgenres and not always created by people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual. And as I understand it, Japanese gay and lesbian people are expected to confirm to the stereotype of being either effeminate males or butch women/feminine women.

Thank you!
by SSD (guest)  

. 2011/5/20 02:55
Bisexuality is more common in Japan than you think. It's just not viewed in the same way as people do in the US or Europe. Bicuriousity is also acceptable there. It's just that, neither of them are talked much about because it isn't viewed as something distinct like gay or lesbian culture. Bisexuality is like being open-minded about sexuality in Japan, even though in the US, it's not seen as a choice. Transgenders also don't have it as bad as you think either. I see many cross-dressers in Tokyo, and Japan has a funding program for sexual reassignment surgery.

People may not be open about these things there, but it's there and people seldom complain or persecute others because of it. As long as it's behind closed doors, no one is ashamed.
by Jun (guest) rate this post as useful

lack of visibility 2011/5/23 14:45
Im not sure bisexuality is very well talked about in Japanese popular culture.
Strangley homosexulaity is often confused with transgenderism/transvestism in Japan.
People often think if you are "gay" it means you want to change gender/cross-dress and that you are hiding your effeminate manner (and your dresses!) at home.
This could be because traditionally, Japanese people are already very accustomed seprating personality into 2 parts, public and private versions of self.
I guess this confusion could also be due to television where gay people are only represented by crossdressers in comic roles.
I have never seen the average japanese gay person represented in a serious role on TV.
Homesexuality/Bisexuality are just not part of mainstream characterisation in TV shows, unlike in UK and US, where characters can just happen to be gay or bisexual without it dominating the whole reason for their character. I think Japanese straight people are just underinformed compared to other countries. But as you say there is a definate lack of hostity and people are kind and genuinely interested to understand if you take the time to explain.
That is just how I see it.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread