Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yodobashi Return/Exchange Policy? 2011/5/22 14:43
Hi,

My brother brought the wrong dictionary from Yodobashi, and has already opened it and turned it on. Is it still possible for him to exchange it for the correct one?

I read somewhere there might be trouble with the batteries being unwrapped... and that then it is used and no longer acceptable to be taken back at all.

Is there a way around this? He misread the product number and just wants to get the right one...

Also, how would you proceed to explain this in Japanese?

Thanks!
by Steven (guest)  

... 2011/5/22 21:24
I don't know the exact return policy of theirs, but it would be worth trying it out. You definitely need the receipt, you need to have everything that was in the box (even if it's been opened), and the sooner the better.

You could say:
- Shouhin bangou wo machigaeta no de, henpin shitai no desu ga. (I would like to return it because I got the wrong product number.)

They might ask you if you want the right one (maybe for an exchange?), so:
- Kaitakatta no wa kochira desu. (The one I wanted to buy was this.) And you can point to a piece of paper with the correct product number.

See what they can do for you.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/22 23:06
In my experience, Yodobashi has always had flexible return policies.

If you have the receipt and it is within a reasonable period of time (within 10-14 days), you should have no problems with an exchange.

You also need to have all the original components (box, batteries, wrapping). Return everything to the original condition before taking it to the store.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Also.. 2011/5/23 09:00
Generally Japanese stores are not as liberal with returning things as are American stores. I had to return something once, and I was advised only take it to same store from where it was bought. [even it was a chain store]. As You are doing, I took all the packaging with reciept and as soon as possible. Since I was exchanging for a different size same kind, I had no problems other than the bit of inconvenience.
You may have more a problem if wanting money back or waiting too long before returning the item.
Best!
by Martmail rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/23 09:31
I was advised only take it to same store from where it was bought. [even it was a chain store].

I take it as a matter of course that you take it back to where it came from :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2011/5/23 17:58
it might be obvious to people from japan or people from certain european countries but in north america, return policies are very liberal - if you buy an item from a walmart in california you can generally bring it back for a return or refund to a walmart in new york as long as you have the receipt.

in japan returns are notoriously difficult at big chain stores and yodobashi is no exception.

i have returned 3 items to yodobashi in the past but i had to fight with the clerk and manager every single time in order to do it.

basically if the item was not defective you can expect a fight from the yodobashi staff.

in addition if you are over the 7 day cooling off period you can forget about it unless you're ready for a big argument. bring someone who can speak japanese and likes arguing because they'll probably get a good workout.

your experience may differ but again i've done it 3 times. two of the times i was trying to return the item to upgrade to a more expensive one and they didn't even want to let me do it. as a result i feel yodobashi's service is not that good and try to avoid buying from them.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

btw 2011/5/23 18:00
i just re-read that the batteries are unwrapped - i would forget about returning it. even if you return it in perfect condition but just the packages shrink wrap removed they'll give you a fight - with the batteries out the staff will be extremely reluctant to help you.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Invalid manifestation against intention 2011/5/25 04:52

He misread the product number

If so, it's highly likely that your brother can return the dictionary.
Misreading a product number is not legally a gross negligence, I believe.
Under the Civil Code of Japan,
in a case a person mistakenly indicated intention which was not his/her real intention, such indication shall get invalid; if he/she was grossly negligent, however, the person can not assert the invalidity.
(That can be resulted from Article 95 of the Civil Code.)

That is different from cooling off (= unconditioned cancellation), which can not be done in a case the item was purchased at a real shop.
As to a sales contract via Internet, cooling off is not guaranteed, but unless the shop explicitly indicated that cancellation couldn't be made, the purchaser can cancel it within the 8 days from the day it was concluded.

Generally Japanese stores are not as liberal with returning things as are American stores.

Personally I think it's not a liberality issue. Such a difference may have a cultural background.
North America is wide. It's natural for many people to go a long away for shopping, I suppose, so it's often convenient to consumers if they can return an item to another shop.
I never think a U.S. rule is less liberal only because it prohibits a thing I can do in Japan, as long as the reason / purpose is convincing.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

thanks 2011/5/25 09:05
thanks for all of your suggestions!

my brother took it to yodobashi and they let him exchange it with little hassle!

Thanks!
by Steven (guest) rate this post as useful

returns 2011/5/25 10:24
Steven,

Glad it worked out in the end.

I've had the occasion to returned many things in Japan (including to Yodobashi Camera) and although it isn't as easy as in the US, I've found that with a little reason and tact it usually isn't a problem to return things even when outside of return periods and with open items. Good businesses are interested in keeping their customers happy and the better ones will even go out of their way to do so.

Omotenashi,

Liberal in this case means "generous" or "less strict". You can read winterwolf's comment as "Generally Japanese stores are (not as generous/stricter) with returning things than American stores." which is plainly the case.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread