Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shaving in Japan 2011/5/28 11:27
This will probably sound odd, but I am curious.

I know many Japanese girls shave their arms, and I just wondered if it would be weird for them to see an American with unshaved arms.

I have very light blonde arm hair, which makes it hard to see. Would it be acceptable to keep my arms as they are, or should I shave them to keep from standing out too much?
by ChelseaAnne (guest)  

.. 2011/5/28 14:02
If you're talking about under arm, yes, please shave. Japanese women don't shave their arms, just under arms.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

- 2011/5/28 17:56
It's not an odd question at all. Personally, I don't know many Japanese girls who shave their arms, so I'm not sure where you get that from? Many Japanese girls do have very light hair on their arms, so it might not be noticeable from just a glance. But there are also plenty of Japanese girls who have dark black hair on their arm and they aren't too worried about it.

But definitely DON'T shave your arms! Nobody will care what your arms look like in Japan (especially if you are blonde...they will be too busy staring at the hair on your head!) and it will only cause you hassle later in life when it grows back darker and coarser.
Trust me, I know from experience. I shaved my arms as a dare ten years ago, and have had to deal with shaving them every few days ever since, or they grow back dark, coarse and wiry :(
by Sera (guest) rate this post as useful

no need 2011/5/29 10:13
stand out too much. presumably you are white...not matter what you do, you will stand out! shaving arms is strange. no need.
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

Grooming 2011/5/30 11:45
ChelseaAnne,

I'm going to be honest with you. I know you're not talking about arm pits but arms entirely. And yes, a lot of Japanese women do find it odd when fellow grown up females don't shave their arms, and blonde non-Japanese aren't really an exception.

But is it acceptable not to shave them? Yes, it is acceptable. Women are like, "American women don't shave their arms, don't they. Weird, but I guess that's how they are." and they won't even openly say it.

On the other hand, shaving arms are like wearing make-up when meeting people or like wearing a blouse that match your skirt. Or it's like Americans shaving legs, for that matter. Some people are conscious while others aren't while a lot of Japanese females don't have much arm hair in the first place.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Yup 2011/5/30 17:47
What the previous person said. Japanese women do shave their arms. 90% of my Japanese female friends do.

I was rather amused when I heard that they shaved their faces as well so they can better apply foundation but that is a little off topic.
by Fruitloops (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread