Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

inexpensive gift for weekend invitation 2011/6/5 11:48
Hello,

I'm currently staying in a guest house with my travel partner, and as we have stayed in this particular guest house before, the owner has invited us to his house in Izu next weekend to meet his wife and explore the area. We will be staying at his home for an entire weekend.

I know it is customary to bring a gift, so am wondering what I should bring! I'm already in Japan, so it can't be anything from my country, unfortunately. Also, I'm traveling on a really strict budget, so can only afford something around 2000 - 3000 [note that my travel partner's funds are combined with mine]. Should I make up an excuse not to go because the gift would have to be so cheap? If not, what should I get them?

Also, do I present one gift, or two gifts, since there are two people who will be accommodating us?

Additionally, I'm kind of wondering what to expect. I've stayed in a Japanese home before, but never with people I barely knew. I'm really excited and grateful for being invited, don't get me wrong, but also a little nervous.

Oh, one more thing-- should I give the gift right when we arrive? And, should it have a card? Any other advice?

Thank you everyone!
by GoLizzy  

. 2011/6/5 14:16
GoLizzy,

Something for the dinner table would be nice. Wine, flowers, dessert, cheeze... anything.

It doesn't have to be from your country. It can simply be your favorite or something. But it would also be great if you can choose something imported from your country to Japan. For example, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate French wine chosen by a French. It would seem authentic.

Your budget can be low, and you can offer help in the kitchen or around the house instead.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

More questions 2011/6/6 11:47
Thank you for the great suggestions, Uco!

However, I know nothing about wine or cheese or anything to do with food... Do you know a place where I can get American imported things that aren't too expensive? I'm trying to think of what to get, but am drawing a blank. I am not really knowledgeable about food things, or about where I can buy American stuff in Japan. Might you have any suggestions considering that I'm from America? I know that the guest house owner plays guitar...

I'm in Yokohama, in case you know a place. Sorry I'm asking more questions!
by GoLizzy rate this post as useful

Departo 2011/6/6 14:06
Major department stores have basements OOZING with wonderful food: imported all sorts.
by fmj rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/6 14:12
GoLizzy,

You've never gone to a party in your home country with food or booze as gifts? Anyway, where are you located now? But as suggested, department stores should give you some ideas.

No parties loser girl 2011/6/6 15:23
No, I've never gone to parties in America where those sorts of gifts were given... Usually those parties start after college, I think. Or, maybe I'm just a loser... :(

My parents have given wine as a present before at parties they've gone to (I was never invited), but I myself have no idea what sorts of wines are good. I only turned of drinking age a few months ago.

The last party I went to where gifts were given was a birthday party when I was 15. People don't really bring gifts to college parties at my school, and I don't go to gatherings much anyway since I study most of the time (I'm also kind of shy).

I can try department stores. I'm in Tama Plaza (Aoba-ku, Yokohama). I only arrived 5 days ago, but since I've stayed here before, I know where some department stores are (Tokyu and Seven & i Holdings). Should I pick out some assorted sweets to be wrapped, even if they aren't American? Or, is there something special I should have in mind? I'm kind of feeling bad about asking you guys now; sorry for bothering you so much.

. 2011/6/6 18:31
National Azabu supermarket is the shop with the best variety of relatively inexpensive gifts imported from the U.S.
http://www.national-azabu.com/e_storeguide.html

By the way, I usually hop into a random liquor store and ask for recommendations when I want to buy wine as gifts. But make sure the hosts of the house drink.

Wine perhaps 2011/6/6 21:02
Thank you for the great suggestions! I found a wine shop by Tama Plaza Station today-- I'll make sure to ask the owner for some input. And, I will ask if the hosts drink alcohol. Thank you again!

reply to this thread