Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gyms in Japan 2011/6/14 00:11
I want to work out! In Canada, I would work out five times a week... here I don't have the opportunity really. I want to use the facilities.

I live in Moriguchi City, Osaka. Are there any private gyms nearby that I could visit. There's one big one close by but they require I go to a gym tour/training session which I would not understand and then I think I would still have to be "accepted" after that. What's the point of the tour if I don't understand Japanese?

How can I find gyms near me? Any easy way to search?

Thanks,

Matti
by mattijcowan  

Gym tour 2011/6/14 09:02
I think that all of the gyms have a training tour. Even the small community gym/pool that I joined out in the country gave me a tour. Number one, I think they want you to see all they have to offer, and two, make sure you know where everything is (workout areas, showers, etc). Bring a Japanese speaking friend with you , or just go along and make a mental note of the facilities even if you don't understand Japanese. I don't know what is in Osaka, but community gyms are usually cheaper. You should bring a friend who speaks Japanese with you anyway, because there are different plans that you can sign up for, especially if you are planning on going 5 times a week, an unlimited membership will probably cost a lot less than paying every day you go.
by lilu (guest) rate this post as useful

It's probably a legal obligation 2011/6/14 14:38
I imagine the tour is a legal obligation to satisfy the gym's liability insurance.
Gyms everywhere I've lived do this so if you maim yourself with a machine they can say they told you not to use it that way.
by GMatt (guest) rate this post as useful

gym tour 2011/6/14 14:54
I use gyms in japan ocassionally (not as much I as should).
The tour is very helpful, most of the tour consists of things that can be explained visually without words (where to remove your shoes, wiping sweat off the machines with the mini rag hanging on the machines)
Also they need to show you how to use machines for safety (allthough this part of the tour will probably be very brief unless you ask questions or ask them to demonstrate).
I often sit on machines backwards or find my leg is over something that it should be under etc...to the amusement of my friends.
I am sure you are more familiar with gyms than I am but there might still be differences than with Canadian machines.
The high tech stuff is quite cool too (chipped wrist tags to monitor your reps, enter biometric info etc, displays on cross trainers and bicycle machines have all kinds of virtual maps and tv and games and quizes etc.)
Some larger gyms like KONAMI ocassionaly have english speaking staff, just ask at the desk and they will assign the person that speaks the most english to explain things to you.
Also worth checking out at your local municipality if there is a local free gym (or very cheap if not free). Usually they are a bit older and less equipped but not always.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/6/15 18:41
The explanation sessions they offer when you join a gym are optional.
(At least at every gym I've ever joined, which is quite a few in various cities).
You can just decline all together or tell them you'll make an appointment later if you find it necessary. Or, simply take the tour and be done with it.

There are multiple gyms in Moriguchi (Konami Sports, Big-S Dainichi, etc.) and tons of facilities throughout Osaka along major rail lines.

Just from memory, there gyms at or near Kyobashi, Namba, Osaka, Honmachi, Moriguchi, and Yodoyabashi stations.
Many gyms near major stations don't have bike parking so consider distance and travel convenience with choosing a gym.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

reply to this thread