Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good parental impressions? 2011/6/14 06:05
Hello, I am an African American female that has been, for the most part, talking to the Japanese man for around 6 months. We are both interested in furthering our connection in a relationship sense, yet, I have to admit, I am nervous because of many factors. I am learning Japanese, and he is learning English, yet, the problem that I am worried about is the chance that there might be a race issue with his family. I also want to be respectful to his parents, and I am wondering what I could get them when I go out to Japan with him to be respectful and courteous. I am wondering what gifts I could get them, and moreover what I could do to make a good impression, especially since we are both of different races. Can someone help me please? I would really appreciate it.
by KitKatKatrina  

be optimistic 2011/6/14 17:27
I think it is always best to give people the benefit of the doubt...Go in with the assumption there is no "race issue". Of course meeting your partners parents is stressful and you want to make a good impression, so of course be polite and respectful etc but not overly awkward.
I am in a same sex relationship and I used to worry the same way about family accepting our relationship, but I soon learned you have to give people a chance. I am often pleasantly surprised that people are more kind and open minded than we might assume regardless of age, culture, nationality, religion etc...especially with older generations, grandparents etc...people always assume they cant understand, but we forget they have lived and experienced a lot more than us.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

gift 2011/6/14 17:36
Oh and for a gift...
Japanese people like gifts to be geographically linked, especially from foreigners like us.
So is there something that is famous in the local area where you live? some ceramics? glassware? craft goods? or perhaps food or drink but something special...a case of wine from a local vineyard, whiskey, some preserves?? I have no idea where you are from in America. Check what the tourists are buying.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: Gift 2011/6/15 00:35
I live in California, so I'm sure there are a variety of things that I can get. I heard that wooden objects are rare in Japan, so perhaps something that represents California would help. As for the race issue, thank you for the encouragement. I suppose I need more of that myself, simply because my nerves are really tense. After all, a person always wants to make a good impression on the parents of the person they love.
by KitKatKatrina rate this post as useful

be yourself 2011/6/16 02:20
i was in the same situation a year before, when i had first met my japanese boyfriend's parents, and i was so nervous about it, i spend the whole time on the plane revising keigo...but we got on and still get on very well :)
i agree that you should be respectful and polite, but you should be yourself.
about the gift: ask your partner about his parents, their hobbies etc. maybe that helps choosing the gift. wine or tea is a good idea, also sweets (cake is horribly expensive in japan.. when i went last year i took a type of traditional pastry from my country that wouldn't go wrong for some days) or maybe some local craft item
by sugarmagnolia (guest) rate this post as useful

That sounds good to me. 2011/6/18 06:25
I asked him what does his parents think about his past girlfriends and he told me that he barely brings them around his girlfriends, which has me a bit worried because I find that that might be a bit disrespectful, yet he lives with his older sister and I am bound to meet her. He told me that his older sister and I have much in common and that she loves outsiders, so I hope to make a good impression on her. I will bring a nice cake to them, if customs will allow it. Otherwise, I will simply have to buy one out there. I am trying to think of something very traditional and beautiful that is associated with California. I suppose I have to do a bit of research to find out.

Just relax 2011/6/19 21:56
Be yourself and don't worry about the race issue so you have nothing to be scared of. For a gift, I suggestasking about their hobbies or interests and go from there. Try food or else books.
by Kirari Ciel rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2011/6/23 03:50
I have a bit of a different perspective regarding race compared to the others here. I married a Japanese girl, and her parents have no problem with me. And in fact, I've never heard of anyone who's white having a problem. However, I have heard of many blacks having problems. Of course it depends on the people, and you should go visit without any worries, but I would take a couple precautions.

First, make sure you ask your bf if he's shown them a picture of you yet. If so, and you're still going, you should be fine.

Second, realize that even if they're accepting of you, Japan has no problem with blatant racism. You can see on TV, finding an apartment, etc.

Lastly, bring a nice gift that shows your sincerity. I'm from California and I can tell you that most American chocolates like See's or Ghiradeli (sp?) are too sweet. Ask your bf if they drink wine, or what their hobbies are and get something California. His dad might like baseball, in which case you can get an A's jersey or something with Mitui's name on it.

Good luck!
by StuNami rate this post as useful

Respect 2011/6/25 01:49
Thank you so much for this. I had no clue that Sees or Ghiradeli chocolates were too sweet for Japanese people. But they are a bit too sweet for me as well, so I can see why. But as for the indications of respect, what is the best approach to show your respect towards the parents, their house, or even they're country, and what is going overboard?

sweets 2011/8/5 18:52
Yeah, I was about to post as well but the person above beat me to the point.

In Japan they tend not to like things nearly as sweet as we do in the states, and this goes for cakes as well.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread