Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Visa with bad school attendance 2011/6/18 16:49
Hi, so i guess my situation is kind of complicated. I was studying at a language school for a year, but because of a medical situation many times i was unable to attend class. Anyways, I wanted to go and finish my study at a new language school, perhaps for a year, or maybe extend to two which i was told by gogonihon that I could do.

Im just wondering am If i am going to be approved. I have written a letter of apology as recommended and also have a letter from my doctor saying what medication she prescribed and also stating my condition.

Now that I'm 100 percent in good health i want to return to language school and finish up my study, but im just wondering if my bad school attendance will give me any trouble in my visa application, and if so, does this mean I can never study in japan as a student again?

I guess i can always wait to find out but I'm stressing out already as is. Any information would be appreciated. thanks, chris
by Chris Cutler  

Attendance 2011/6/19 11:23
What % attendance do you think you had overall? I think they require at least 80%. If its lower than 80%, you have to write a letter explaining why. But given your situation I think you will be fine.
by Arbel rate this post as useful

... 2011/6/19 20:50
the most of language schools don't support you for getting visa if your attendance is less than 80%. However,if the reason is medical ,you have to bring the hospital's documents to your school and they may help you with the visa stuff.
anyway,the Immigration wont give you a visa if your attendance is less than 60 %.
It doesnt matter if you were sick,if somebody of your family died,or other serious reasons.My french friend had to take a surgical operation at the lungs while she was in japan,and she did so many absence at school,and didn't reach the 60% of attendance so eventhough she wrote apologise letter and brought the doctor's certificates at the Immigration,she couldn't get visa......
by loire (guest) rate this post as useful

really? 2011/6/20 01:41
So what does that mean?
I'm not trying to extend a visa or anything like that and have already returned home.
I just want to make a new visa to study. Actually my friends attendance was 40 percent and he made a new visa.

I was told if i write the letter of apology explaining the situation and the desire to return to studying then it would be okay.
by Chris Cutler rate this post as useful

40% 2011/6/20 01:47
40% and still getting a visa is most likely an oversight by the immigration authorities!!!

80% is the minimum.

if you have a period of under 80% you get a single 6 month chance to prove yourself. the time from your renewal period until the end of that 6 months needs to be 80%. if you miss 80% you don't get another visa renewal no matter what- it's 100% set in stone. i know this because i'm experiencing it myself!! (busy with work and life - jp school is an inconvenience for me)

i recommend that you try a different visa instead of a language school visa if your attendance was much lower than 80%
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

medical situation 2011/6/20 01:50
Do u mean try a different visa like a college one?
You know that the pre-college and student visas are now combined right?

So i would be in sense applying for a different visa.

Anyways if it was some sort of medical situation i was just told by the canadian goverment that even if you attendance happened to be 20 percent its still considered by the goverment and not just turned away
by Chris Cutler rate this post as useful

reply to this thread