Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mixed Seasons in Japan 2011/6/20 16:41
Hi, I'm trying to find a place in Japan where four seasons happen in one day.

I'm after something in particular for a writing fiction where many varieties of flowers bloom consistently all year round due to the unusual temperatures that stagnant throughout the day.

Unsure if such a place exists in Japan climate wise, if it does please let me know.

Thank you.
by Ipanoramika  

?? 2011/6/21 12:28
Ipanoramika,

Do you mean not artificially? I can't see how that is possible. Besides, Japanese culture is all about the four seasons. In other words, people tend to enjoy the fact that you cannnot enjoy certain flowers in certain seasons.

by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

I did mean 2011/6/21 14:05
fresh, natural growing flowers. It was an idea and I was wondering if something unique like this actually existed in Japan.
by Ipanoramika rate this post as useful

four seasons 2011/6/21 14:19
I can think of natural instances where you'll find two bordering seasons depicted at the same time, and possibly even three if you stretch your imagination. However, I'm not sure how its even possible to see all four in one day, but maybe that's me misunderstanding what you are trying to depict.

Or are you only talking about flowers , and want to see a place where flowers from all four seasons bloom in the same day? I don't know how you could see that in a natural setting, but if its fiction couldn't you just make up a fictional place?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Not quite 2011/6/21 15:21
I'm trying to find somewhere realistic based in Japan where such an event could possibly occur.

Is there a district or town/city that anyone may know of.

... 2011/6/21 17:40
Some botanical gardens have greenhouses where out-of-season plants are grown. Outside of greenhouses, such a place does not exist.
by Uji rate this post as useful

curious 2011/6/22 03:07
yllwsmrf,

I'm just curious. What's your definition of "natural instances where you'll find two bordering seasons depicted at the same time, and possibly even three if you stretch your imagination"? Could you discribe it a bit more?

And I thought greenhouses were artificial. Anyway, while this is such an odd question I can't help thinking about it :)

Doesn's matter 2011/6/22 16:30
I'll delete this question because its becoming more obvious that such a natural event doesn't occur, thanks anyway.

sure! 2011/6/22 17:42
I'm just curious. What's your definition of "natural instances where you'll find two bordering seasons depicted at the same time, and possibly even three if you stretch your imagination"? Could you discribe it a bit more?

For example, instances of cherry blossoms in snow, or green sprouts emerging from snow to depict winter and spring together. I've witnessed that a few times myself, and seen some great pictures using that theme. I'd imagine if you add to that well placed red maple trees you could give the appearance of autumn too. Perhaps a bright, full sun or cicadas/fireflies could represent summer.

Actually, the OP has and interesting concept, and thinking through it has given me a few photo ideas I'd like to try out. I'm still not sure how to use natural flowers to represent each theme (don't flowers in bloom typically represent spring or summer?), but I'd be curious to see the work of whoever figures that out.

stories 2011/6/22 17:55
By the way, I just realized my thoughts were more photography related, and the OP is asking more for a setting for a story (is that correct?). In that case, I think with a little creativity you could accomplish your idea. For example, I've been on mountain hikes in autumn where it felt like we were travelling through multiple seasons as we travelled higher up the mountain. In one case we started hiking in lush green forests at the bottom, which changed to red and orange maples midway up the mountain, and the summit was covered in snow.

. 2011/6/22 21:06
Thanks yllwsmrf. Hmm, but in real life, it would be something like "winter spouts in snow" and not really "summer sprouts in snow." Also, I can't imagine cherry blossoms in snow. I think it's biologically not possible. But this is not a time for debate. It's just a thought. Thanks for the fun.

4 seasons 2011/6/22 22:52
I live in a city where we sometimes joke that you can experience 4 seasons in one day but it is not in Japan. It is San Francisco. Due to the unique geography and natural setting we can wake up to damp wet cold foggy mornings (winter), then when the fog burns off a spring like late morning, then warm to hot conditions during the afternoon (summer), then fall like winds that cool us off and lower the temperature and bring the fog back in the evening. Visitors to SF are often fooled by the weather pattern (especially in summer) and caught off guard without enough clothing when the temperature drops later in the day. I think the OP was looking for a place with a similar condition in Japan.
by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

4 seasons 2011/6/23 02:12
The way stevenjv explain it makes sense..Yes quite a few towns around the world have big variations in weather conditions in one single day that feel like the 4 seasons, sort of.... (though the chance of snow for a few hours in the evening in summer, if the afternoon was warm, are practically nil) but this doesn't happen everyday of the year, only once a while.

It happens in Vancouver, also along the Pacific like SF, and with mountains right by the sea.

Paris (the one in France) is known for having big changes in weather through the day, most especially in spring and fall, but it can also happen in summer. Sudden violent rains that only last a short while are a feature of its climate ..
Parisians often wear several thin layers, easy to remove or add during the day as the temperature changes..

the original poster was asking about FLOWERS of the 4 seasons blooming in one place in one day... that just can't happen outside as it takes weeks of a certain combination of weather for flowers of each season to grow and bloom... and many places just don't have winter flowers..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

scenes for nature 2011/6/23 11:29
Thanks yllwsmrf. Hmm, but in real life, it would be something like "winter spouts in snow" and not really "summer sprouts in snow."

I was thinking more early spring sprouts poking through the snow. Something like these:

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1184&bih=719&tbm=...
http://www.123rf.com/photo_3050715_blossom-of-crocuses-on-the-carpathi...

Also, I can't imagine cherry blossoms in snow. I think it's biologically not possible.

I don't think its that uncommon a sight. Granted, I believe it requires a late snow rather than the blossoms blooming while it is still winter.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1184&bih=719&tbm=...

. 2011/6/23 23:00
yllwsmrf wrote
"I was thinking more early spring sprouts poking through the snow."

Yeah, but that's just 2 seasons, or in fact, 1 season moving on to the 2nd.

"I don't think its that uncommon a sight. Granted, I believe it requires a late snow rather than the blossoms blooming while it is still winter."

Cool evidence! Caps off to you!

2 bordering seasons 2011/6/24 09:32
"I was thinking more early spring sprouts poking through the snow."

Yeah, but that's just 2 seasons, or in fact, 1 season moving on to the 2nd.

That's it exactly: natural instances where you'll find two bordering seasons depicted at the same time

Now the hard part is how to cleverly work in the other seasons ;)

So close... 2011/6/24 12:57
Actually this February there was a Sakura tree that bloomed in the park near Hamamatsucho station. Two days later it snowed and I was so saddened that I had to work and could not go back to take pictures. I'm sure it would have been gorgeous and probably the same feeling as the OP was thinking. (not four but three at least as there were both green and barren trees in the park.)
by Chinoda rate this post as useful

snow 2011/6/27 14:59
I've seen snow on cheery blossoms in Kamakura, back in April 2001.

I might even have some photos of it!!
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Melbourne 2011/6/28 18:17
The way stevenjv explain it makes sense..Yes quite a few towns around the world have big variations in weather conditions in one single day that feel like the 4 seasons, sort of.
Sorry, I've been following this and resisting posting, but have to now...as a confirmed Melbournite, it truly is the city wher all 4 seasons hapen in one day..not photographically, just meterologically....
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Mixed Seasons in Japan 2011/12/7 19:07
You can see autumn and spring in the same season if you go places that have fudan-zakura, special sakura that bloom in the autumn instead of spring.

There is one at Jikko-in in Kyoto's Ohara area:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/218b4f/

Actually, this year this website lists another location with many of these trees in Fujioka city:
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo11/111109.html

Those kinds of places sound like the best if your goal is to combine seasons because spring and autumn are the most distinct.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread