Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying martial arts 2011/6/21 17:37
Hey, I plan to some day study martial arts in japan. However I'm not sure how to go about it.I know its apart of their culture and i don't want to some how come across as offensive. I'm very very passionate about martial arts and When I study i want to learn more about the culture and experience it not just read about it. I want to learn martial arts from where it originated and get as close to as i possibly can. Any advice would be great.

~Thanks
by Martialdreams  

Karate/ K1 Kickboxing 2011/6/22 15:15
When I moved to Japan 10 years ago I worked out at a Karate studio that also did K1 training. Since I was already a black belt in Taekwondo I didn't much care for learning Karate, and instead spent my time on the K1 side learning how to box. It's a good studio and isn't too expensive.

It's in the back alley I marked on the map below on the 2nd floor. I haven't been there in ages, but I don't imagine it would have gone away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.711639,139.704906&ll=35.711665,139.70...
by StuNami rate this post as useful

Which one? 2011/6/22 20:19
Which one you want study? There a few.... But in most parts of Japan is Budo not more a apart of the culture. But I can help you, I think. I in Japan for over 10 Years and teach Ju Jutsu (Jiu Jitsu), Karate, Kickboxing, MMA and Muay Thai in Yokusuka and Miura and hold the rank of a Black Belt in Judo, Kyokushin kaikan, Shotokan, Taekwondo, Hapkido, Ninjutsu & Bōjutsu. So I know lot of Master and Schools.
by Jochen12 rate this post as useful

You 2011/6/23 08:03
are sure so amazing, hehe.
by Module (guest) rate this post as useful

Several styles 2011/6/23 21:11
Well I've already had some experience with Jujitsu Hapkido TKD and boxing But I'd like to learn Shotokan Karate Kyokushin Battojutsu and Jujitsu at least and possibly Aikido and Muay Thai.
by Martialdreams rate this post as useful

Is a lot. 2011/6/23 22:07
"Well I've already had some experience with Jujitsu Hapkido TKD and boxing "

What is some for you? How long you study?

"But I'd like to learn Shotokan Karate Kyokushin Battojutsu and Jujitsu at least and possibly Aikido and Muay Thai."

So, Shotokan and Akido is not a Problem, a lot of very good Schools in Japan.

Kyokushin, after Oyama's death, is for me not the same, several groups broke away from the IKO, and lot of Dojos teach a very different Kyokushin now in Japan.

JuJutsu is death in Japan, the most Japanese not know JuJutsu, but few People bring back JuJutsu.

Muay Thai: Japan is not Thailand, but I know few good Gyms.

How long you want study in Japan?

But start with one or two only.......

When you want, you can come to me for JuJutsu and Muay Thai. But I not Japanese, I hope is ok for you.............

Quite a long time 2011/6/23 23:33
I started at the age of 6 studying Jujitsu and i studied that for a year i studied hapkido for a year TKD for 4 years Boxing for 3 years.

How long would i plan on staying there 2011/6/23 23:52
at least a year but i like to stay for 2 or 3 if i can help it.

re 2011/6/24 07:50
Is not much. How old you are now? You study now martial arts? 1 Year is ok,but 2 or 3 Years is good, you can make you BlackBelt, when you find a Job and study every Day....

Age 2011/6/24 11:33
I'm 19 almost 20

GIal artsood age 2011/6/24 12:53
This is a very good age. You study now mart
by Jochen12 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re 2011/6/24 13:02
Sorry For the first one but I post from my iphone. Good age. Your study now martial arts? When you want come to japanH

It will be a while 2011/6/24 13:22
Assuming i survive my time in Afghanistan at least 4 years. This is a long term goal i wanna make sure I have the money to go to japan and open my own school.

Re 2011/6/24 13:43
A you in the army now. open you school in whatH but open a school is not only a money problem you need a visa.

Preperation 2011/6/24 14:58
I'm currently training with a marine core recruiting office to lose the last of the weight i gotta drop. as far as a school it will more then likely be in the states. I'm not sure what will happen in the future the USMC and japan are both major steps in my dream to open up my own school of martial arts. I want to teach the generations to come that theirs more to the world then materialism. Hopefully the teachings and ways of the empty hand will do some good.

re 2011/6/24 16:35
Good plan, I had the same dream 20 Years ago and now I live the dream for a long time. When you need help let me know and when you want you can come in one of me Dojos and make your dream true, of course for free.

Thank you 2011/6/24 18:05
Thanks, I appreciate it alot. I'll keep you posted on my efforts to get over their. If im lucky I'll get stationed in japan I'll be sure to hit you up.

Re 2011/6/24 18:45
"Thanks, I appreciate it alot."

You're welcome.

" I'll keep you posted on my efforts to get over their."

Please do this.

"If im lucky I'll get stationed in japan I'll be sure to hit you up."

Good lucky with this, but when not, make your next Holiday in Japan.......
You can stay in my Dojo in Yokusuka when you want. The Name of my Dojos is miurafightclub we are a NPO and I hope we have soon a Home page online.

Re: Studying martial arts 2011/12/13 04:49
HiI my open in 2 Weeks my new Gym in Yokosuka, Japan (by the Yokosuka Navy Base).

Ichiban Martial Arts Yokosuka

We are a NPO (Nonprofit organization)!

We teach:
Boxing, Fitness Kickboxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Ninjutsu, Jiu Jitsu, Grapping, MMA, Karate, Wing Chun Kung Fu,Jugoshinjutsu, Self defence & Weapons Training.
Plus Language: Japanese, German, Italian & French!

For Kids and Adults!

40% of the Members are women! The most want lose weight, become more fit & more confident.

You can bring your Kids with you in the training because we have a big play area with lots of toys, tv and more in our Dojo/gym!!

Open 6 Days a Week!

Starting from 2 January 2012:

Monday: 9:00 a.m.-12:00pm & 17:00pm-22:00pm
Tuesday: 16:15pm-22:00pm
Wednesday: 9:00am-12:00pm & 17:00pm-22:00pm
Thursday:9:00am-11:00am & 16:15pm-22:00pm
Friday: 9:00am-11:00am & 17:00pm-22:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am-12:00pm &16:00-21:00pm

Free trial, please ask us for further details.

Our Gym is located Just Outside from the Womble Gate!

Directions: Walk out the Womble Gate at Yokosuka Naval Base and turn left. Go straight ahead after 2-3 mins you at your Gym/Dojo. We are in the same Building as the Naw'lins (This is the best New Orleans style restaurant in Yokosuka) and the Christian Ministries Far East!! We are in the 4 th Floor! The first time, we can pick you up at the Womble gate and show you the way.
by Martial Arts Yokosuka (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread