Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Libraries 2011/6/21 23:26
How do the Japanese organize their libraries? Is it alphabetical like English libraries or by stroke order, radical or something else?

I want to know because I recently bought a lot of manga from Amazon and I'd like to organize them on my shelves Japanese-fashion.
by RaikouNeko  

books 2011/6/22 14:43
I love the "English libraries"...You are from the US right?
All Western countries, not just English speaking ones, use the same alphabet..the one from the Romans....

They divide their books by subject, then within each of these alphabetically by authors names

For example in Romances, Mysteries etc. books will be stored by authors names. In the travel section books will stored by continent then country then region within a country..

The Japanese likely follow the same system... of course I could be wrong...

by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

kana order 2011/6/22 16:26
Within sections books in Japanese libraries are in kana order- a i u e o, ka ki ku ke ko, sa shi su se so etc.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/22 20:42
RaikouNeko,

As mentioned, in libraries and in book shops as well, books are separated by genre, and then by author names in a-i-u-e-o order, and then titles in a-i-u-e-o order.

For example, there will be a shelf for ordinary novels and another shelf for manga. And within the manga shelf, there would be a place for girls' manga and another for boys' and within that it's pretty much by author, because a certain author usually writes a certain genre.

Same for CDs, by the way. Even imported ones.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2011/6/22 23:49
Thank you for your answer! I probably should have figured it would be something like that, but I just couldn't get alphabetizing (with the Roman alphabet) out of my head. I suppose organizing by hiragana/katakana sounds is a similar technique, in the fact that it's still technically alphabetizing?
by RaikouNeko rate this post as useful

Depends 2011/6/23 18:15
It depends on libraries. University libraries use a Library of Congress system. If you are studying around Tokyo and read some Japanese, I might recommend going to National Diet Library once.
by Passer by (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread