Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing Antidepressant to Japan 2011/6/23 13:06
I take Cipralex for anxiety and depression and suffer fairly severe withdrawal symptoms if I stop taking it. Is this a legal drug in Japan?

Also, I know I can take up to one-month's supply of prescription drugs but if I get a teaching job of one or more years, can I refill my prescription in Japan?

Thanks,
Ryan
by RJDawson  

It should be fine 2011/6/23 21:29
Not sure to which extent it is legal.
However I have brought twice amount for 6 months in Japan with now issues. I had also twice 3 packs sent by regular post from abroad and it was fine. Each time a copy of the doctor prescription was included.
Just avoid bringing amount for 2 years at the same time.
by sean (guest) rate this post as useful

As far as I can look up: 2011/6/23 23:01
As far as I can look up from the internet, this medicine (the active ingredient being escitalopram oxalate) has not been approved in Japan. But there are companies who help you import it into Japan, and it is not prohibited/restricted in Japan.

Since it is not approved in Japan, you would probably not be able to get it prescribed (at least at this point in time) in Japan. So you should bring one-month's supply (or just a bit more to be safe) initially with doctor's prescription attached in case you need to show it, then have family or someone send it over once in a while.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread