Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Name Questions 2011/7/12 09:04
Hi forum-goers, I just had a couple name questions.

1. I have been recently started teaching myself some basic Japanese (as I wish to study and live there someday). I understand that katakana is used when writing foreign names, but I'm unsure how my name would be written, as it is pronounced completely different than it is spelled (spelled "Sean" and pronounced "Shawn"). Any advice?

2. I was curious if it would be okay to adopt a generic/popularly used Japanese name while I'm over there (possibly as a nickname)? Almost all foreign exchange students that I have encountered have chosen a very common English name while they were attending school here, and I was just curious if that would be acceptable in Japan? Or would it be considered rude/imposing on their culture/language? And if I were to take on a Japanese nickname, should I write it in katakana to respect/acknowledge the fact that I am indeed a foreigner?

Being a woman named Sean, I get comments and questions almost every time I meet someone new in my home country, as this spelling is usually masculine. So if it would be advised to just keep my English personal name out of respect in Japan, I would only be used to any mispronunciations or hesitations.

Thanks all for the help/advice!
by Sean (guest)  

names 2011/7/12 10:36
You'll be fine using your real name. It wouldn't be considered rude to take a Japanese nickname, just odd and unnecessary. It's not the norm in Japan for foreigners to take a Japanese name- the only people I've come across who have done that in the 13 years I've been in Japan have been ethnic Chinese and Koreans who grew up here.

Sean would be written ショーン in katakana and the pronunciation is very close to the English, no-one will have trouble with it. on the other hand if you used a Japanese name you would probably get a lot of surprised reactions and spend a lot of time explaining why you have a Japanese name.

Incidentally Japanese people don't usually give themselves an English nickname when overseas, that's more of a Chinese and Korean thing.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Question Answered-Thanks! 2011/7/12 10:56
Thank you for your quick and helpful response, Sira!
by SYerkey rate this post as useful

Sean is fine 2011/7/13 09:53
Once the people you meet hear you say Sean - ショーン, you should have no trouble. It is one of those names that Japanese can pronounce with little problem (no L or TH in it). Maybe put it on a business card as ショーン. I have a friend called Sean in Japan who has no trouble.

If you are hell-bent on using a Japanese nickname, maybe use Sho-chan or Shoko. it is cute and feminine and uses part of your name's sound. It is not really common to take a Japanese name, but not disrespectful either.

Good luck.
by gdaynate rate this post as useful

reply to this thread