Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tattoos and Japan 2011/7/26 07:19
Me and my friend are going to Japan as exchange students on September, however we realised there is a problem.

I have a small tattoo on my left wrist (It's "Carpe Diem") and my friend has a colourful floral one on her ankle.

Will we not be allowed to enter Onsens/Amusement Parks/Water parks/Beaches etc?

I don't like the fact that I will have to cover my tattoo like a criminal or something. Because, I feel proud of it. Yet, we both have small tattoos...will it still matter that much?
by Nat Tso  

Probably not 2011/7/26 10:21
At least, it didn't matter for my sister, who has two star tattoos on her collarbone. Two people ended up asking her if it had some spiritual meaning to it.

It's more a concern if you have large tattoos, like sleeves. They're usually the sign of the Yakuza so people tend to be a bit wary of people with them.

You should be fine either way. They're in spots people barely look at.
by Mogtaki rate this post as useful

. 2011/7/26 16:26
Nat Tso,

Well, I don' really think that the banning is in relation to yakuza any more, and we do have seen posts here saying foreign visitors were banned due to small tattoos.

But if you're proud of them, just be. Don't hide them just to get into an onsen. Instead, you should willingly accept the banning regulations and leave promptly in order to choose to keep and show your tattoo with pride. And every chance you get, be proud enough to explain you mean no harm. Smile if smiling doesn't make you uncomfortable.

In Japan, tattoos still are means of showing devotion to whatever you have tattooed on. If you're devoted, banning won't get in your way. However, as a proud human being, you need to accept regulations if it so happens you are banned from certain areas.

But take your chances. Your small tattoos will most likely be ignored.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

don't sweat it 2011/7/27 10:33
"I don't like the fact that I will have to cover my tattoo like a criminal or something. Because, I feel proud of it. Yet, we both have small tattoos...will it still matter that much? "

You won't have to hide your tattoos or feel like criminals, but undertsand they have rules at some places that say NO TATTOOS. It's the rules. It's nothing to worry about or hide. I don't hide my tattoos when I'm in Japan, I just understand the rules at some places and respect it. I don't like it, but respect it. I'm a guest. So go, enjoy yourself, be proud, just understnad the rules. No worries. :) have fun.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Tattoos and fashion 2011/7/27 21:13
Traditionally, people with tattoos were members of the yakuza (organized crime) and hence banned from hot springs, public baths and swimming pools. It has become fashionable with young Japanese people to have small or even large tattoos so don't be afraid that you will be looked at as a gang member. However, nowadays, most hot springs, public baths and pools still ban people with tattoos, even small ones, so if don't try to go there you'll have no problems.
by Trader17 rate this post as useful

just ask 2011/8/2 19:04
I've got 5 tattoos (two on each upper arm, one on my right ankle), all with a skull motif. I've never had a problem at an onsen. I've even been in one that had the "No Tattoos Allowed" sign. All you have to do is ask the staff, and show what you've got. That's what I did, and they had no problem.
by Boyaki rate this post as useful

My experience 2011/8/8 11:23
I have two tattoos, one above my pelvis and one on my lower back, I go to a gym with a ''No Tattoo'' policy, but I NEED my gym fix so I ignore it. However, I do make an effort to throw a towel over them when walking to and from the showers.

It's all about finding a balance, don't hide them like you're in the wrong but also respect that the rules in Japan are somewhat different to what you're used to. If you're respectful most people won't have an issue with them.
by nolea rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos and Japan 2011/10/14 14:00
The original intent of these policies was to ban yakuza who were often covered from the neckline to the ankles in tattoos. As this is something seen only with higher ranking yakuza, they are often seen on older Japanese males, whose dress, language, and and attitude will easily distinguish them from a visiting foreigner. The signs are generally pretty rare anymore.

Businesses can make a case for banning yakuza, but if they are banning people for small tattoos they are looking at eventual lawsuits.

Most Japanese are aware that tattoos are becoming popular throughout the world, and many Japanese nationals have small tattoos themselves.
by Inago (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos and Japan 2011/10/14 14:07
The signs are generally pretty rare anymore

I guess that is relative. I frequently come across them. They are especially common at the large, modern public baths. Sometimes even bilingual in Japanese and English.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoos and Japan 2011/10/15 08:45
dont worry about it, I have many many tattoo, over 30 and one is a japanese hand made irezumi, from wrist to knee 1/2 my body and I visit japan 6 times a year....

Yes I can not visit the majority of onsend, but I have visited many onsen in izu , gero etc, , most times I go to the sento .

Plese do not worry about it, I have never found it to be such a problem because I an not japanese so I do not have any stigma assosciated with tattoo's despite haveing a very large (1/2 body) Japanese Irezumi...

Japan is wondeful , the most beautiful place I have evetr been and the people are wonderul such courteous, civilised and repectful people,

Please go and enjoy the wondeful culture of japan and not worry about tattoo,

Enjoy japan you will want to return I am sure of it..

I do not flaunt my tattos, but at the same time I do not hide them. But always remember to be respectful, to both peopel and culture and I am sure you will be warmly recieved.

Enjoy ^^
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread