Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living in Kyoto (Kansai area) 2011/8/7 20:48
Im currently living in Tokyo but have been thinking of moving to the Kansai area. I do work from home so being in Tokyo is not so important. Tokyo is stressful and expensive, and Id really just like a change of pace.

Im honestly not too familiar with the Kansai area. Ive been to Kyoto twice (again in a few weeks) and Kobe once. For some reason I have a really strange attraction to Kyoto.

For those that live there, what is the average cost of rent in the more central parts of the city? Id like to not live in absolute Inaka, but I dont mind being a few stops from the central areas. (Basically able to bike/walk places) I would also like a more modern building, something a bit more earthquake proof. (1990s and above) What are the names of some popular living areas? I know Tokyo quite well, but not even sure where to look in Kyoto at all..

My current rent is about 90,000 for a 1k in Tokyo, so I definitely dont mind paying. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
by Arbel  

... 2011/8/8 11:54
In truth, there are not many "unpopular" areas of Kyoto. That is to say, no one is going to say "oh no, don't live there" if you don't have kids (that's when school districts, child safety, etc. come in to play.)

Today, Kyoto urban culture has largely divided into Kyoto Station area, Shijo area, Kitayama area, and Fushimi area.
-Kyoto Station area is growing in development and popularity for food, entertainment, and shopping.
-As a direct result, the Shijo area is struggling. It has fallen behind on pretty much every front. On the other hand, this situation combined with a spurt of apartment construction in the last 10 years means there are some great deals for the location.
-The Kitayama area is very wealthy and highly popular but it became so expensive during the bubble that development stopped and it feels incomplete. But if you are into quiet and beautiful neighborhoods (Kamogawa River), Kitayama, Shimogamo, Shugakuin, and Matsugasaki are wonderful but again, newer buildings are very expensive...
- The Fushimi area is growing in popularity with young/middle age (30's/40's) because it's inexpensive compared to most other wards, there are many shopping facilities, and lots of B-kyu food options. It's the new "in" neighborhood for young families.

I personally think Sakyo-ku (Kitayama area - Kitayama, Matsugasaki, Ichijoji, Shugakuin, Shimogamo) is one of the best places to live in all of Japan but perhaps I am biased. That said, it can be boring after living in Tokyo but it's really a never-ending case of "grass is greener on the other side".

If I to recommend one particular neighborhood in all of Kyoto it would be Demachiyanagi. It's really a best of ALL worlds location. Access, culture, entertainment, nature all achieve the best balance in Demachiyanagi. The one drawback would be that most buildings are old so newer apartment buildings definitely are noticeably more expensive.

With Kyoto, you don't have to get too fixated on "where". If you are physically able, Kyoto is one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the world. City geography and parking facilities both support the bicycle lifestyle. I have put many more miles (probably 4 times as much) on my mountain bike than on my car.

So no matter where you live in Kyoto you can go anywhere by bike.

With 90k/month, you will be able to find a decent sized apartment in a neighborhood you like.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2011/8/8 13:00
Excellent advice kyototrans. My wife is Japanese and she has been researching Kyoto for more than one year, thinking about living there someday. We have visited many times since moving back to the U.S. and she says rents are much cheaper than Tokyo.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2011/8/8 14:10
Wow very helpful! Lots of information. Ill have to do a bit of research on each place and then make sure to go to the ones im interested during my next trip to Kyoto.

I am a bit concerned about finding housing though. It was a bit of a pain getting a place here, so maybe it would be wise to stay at a guesthouse initially. Any suggestions on places to look or people to contact?
by Arbel rate this post as useful

... 2011/8/9 10:49
Renting can be a pain because of the guarantor issue and many other issues. However, I would not let that discourage you.

I am sure there are some guesthouses in Kyoto but I don't know anything about them except the one that my friend operates.

It's inexpensive (30,000/month) for 5/6-mat private room, no key money, has A/C and small kitchen corner in the room. There's no shared living room like some guest houses.

It's newly remodeled but it's unfurnished and shower is shared and requires leaving your room (5 meter walk/ one unit was converted into shower/laundry room). He does offer free bicycle rental. Water is included but gas/electricity are separate.
I know all this because I translated the flyer for him and saw it before remodeling.

I honestly don't know how these terms compare to other guest houses or what people think of this place because he only remodeled and started renting it out several weeks ago so I am not even sure if he has any tenants! But he's a nice guy and speaks some basic English.

To be honest, if you are the type that doesn't mind the shared shower issue, 30,000 for a private room and free bike seems like a good opportunity to save some cash. Join a sports club for 7-10,000 yen/month for access to more luxurious bathing facilities.

If you would like an introduction at some point, send an e-mail through this site but you probably should indicate that have e-mailed me via this thread as I never the check inbox here (didn't even know there was one until a year after I joined!).
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Questions and comments 2011/8/10 04:43
Arbel

I currently live in Chiba, Funabashi to be exact and have been considering the same thing as you. Funabashi is somewhat a compromise between tokyo and the countryside anyhow, I have been to Kyoto 3 or 4 times and for some reason kinda fell in love with the city. Although I often wonder how it is to actually live there. I have gotten a lot of biased opinions from Japanese friends. Some like it, but many think the people in Kyoto are difficult and strict. I have no idea having never lived there.

I think I would like to try living in a guesthouse since I live in one now and it has been the greatest experience.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of work do you do from home? I have been trying to find some job that doesn't tie me down that will pay the bills. I have been almost getting by with a small website and ebay but it isn't enough to save any money.

by Dogbert rate this post as useful

Hey 2011/8/10 13:49
I do mobile applications and games. Maybe we can both do some research on the area? Would be great to find a decent guesthouse.
by Arbel rate this post as useful

Osaka/Kyoto 2011/8/10 15:10
I can recommend living in Hirakata. It belongs to Osaka but it is close to Kyoto as well and much cheaper than living in the center. There are a bunch of guesthouses for the Kansai Gaidai students here where you could stay while looking for an apartment. http://www.o-e-h.com/

I'm also working at home and in the game business.
by Shibuya Mike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread