Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Facial (and other) peircings 2011/8/14 03:15
I'm going to be going to Japan next summer on an exchange program for two months and I was wondering about the veiws on peircings there. I have read a little on it but I'm still a little confused. I know that tatoos are generally looked down upon so what about peircings

Personally, I have both my ears peirced and two lip peircings (getting more though) I was wondering though about what my situation might be. Would I have to take out my peircings?

I wouldn't want to offend anyone...
by EvilCrash  

exchange 2011/8/14 09:26
It depends on the type of exchange program, so you're probably best consulting the coordinator. If a high school exchange, for example, I would assume you would have to remove your piercings as most schools don't allow their students to wear piercings of any kind.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/8/14 09:55
EvilCrash,

A peirce on each ear is quite normal for a lot of college girls and older, and also acceptable for younger people if you are non-Japanese (because people know that in some countries, you get your ears peirced as an infant).

Lip peircing on the other hand is viewed similarly to tattoos. Some wear it, some like it, some don't mind, some don't like it.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/8/20 00:20
Keep in mind that the underlying religion in Japan is Shinto. And it is considered the body is sacred and anything to do to it, tattoo, piercing, etc. is damaging, even though ear piercing is becoming more common for women.
Be warned some may look at you as a freak, if you have lip, tongue piercings, etc.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

piercings 2011/8/20 12:24
Keep in mind that the underlying religion in Japan is Shinto.

Rather than religion based, its more that Japan is your typical conservative country. Facial and cartilage piercings and tattoos are still very much a part of the counter culture just like they are in most other countries. On the other hand, standard earlobe piercings are rather ubiquitous in Japan, while cartilage and facial piercings are becoming quite popular among young people.

Be warned some may look at you as a freak, if you have lip, tongue piercings, etc.

That thinking seems a little outdated. These days most piercings probably won't even get a second glance, unless you have some rather extreme work done (in which case you're probably used to being stared at to some degree).

. 2011/8/20 20:18
I do agree with amazinga in a sense.

I don't know if it's to do with shinto, but when conservative Japanese people frown at piercings and tattoos, they often frown at them saying "it's dishonorable to force damage to the body your parents gave you." Also, even a lot of younger people do think that lip, tongue piercings, etc. are freaky, even if it's just one or two. In other words, I would say that one lip pierce would usually appear freakier than a set of five piercings on an ear.

Of course, anyone would spot a lip pierce or two if you go to places like Shibuya, and you would just think that it's the new culture and get along with it, but it's true that a lot of people still view non-ear piercings as something rather special and painful.

http://hebi.gaga.ne.jp/
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

facial piercings 2011/8/22 10:31
And I tend to agree with you, but just to be clear, I'm not claiming that religion isn't a factor, but that its one of many things that may cause the older generations to be more conservative with these types of things. The main point being that older people having more conservative tendencies is a pretty much universal experience.

Also, even a lot of younger people do think that lip, tongue piercings, etc. are freaky, even if it's just one or two. In other words, I would say that one lip pierce would usually appear freakier than a set of five piercings on an ear. Of course, anyone would spot a lip pierce or two if you go to places like Shibuya, and you would just think that it's the new culture and get along with it, but it's true that a lot of people still view non-ear piercings as something rather special and painful.

Having worked in high schools, I'd say facial piercings are a whole lot more common, and a lot more mainstream than you might think. But I'd otherwise agree with what you're saying. Even cartilage piercings are still a relative novelty, and most facial piercings are rather rare, especially as you go up in age groups. I would say that Japan is now where the US was a few decades ago with respect to (non earlobe) piercing acceptance. Its still at the point where it is rebellious to get one.

Re: Facial (and other) peircings 2012/1/4 00:15
Well, my answer is a little late, but seeing as you said you were going next summer, it should still be valid.

Hey, want to hear what it's like for a gaijin living in Japan who actually has facial piercings?! No different from your home country, yay!!!

As mentioned waaaaayyy above, if you are doing a high school or junior high school exchange (and I'm kinda guessing you're not because you're going over summer - which is their vacation), you will have to take them out. Also, if you are going to a rural area, you may get some comments. I live in a city. I take my pircings out for work, but actually most of my colleagues know about them. Even some of my students who I have bumbed into on the weekends know about it - it actually seemed to make me more popular with them. When I have visited rural areas, I've never had any comments, but I would say it's more likely to be an issue there than in the cities. Even so, it's nothing at all to worry about. Many many young Japanese have piercings. Especially ear piercings, and not just the lobes. And they are very popular amongst young guys as well as girls. There are probably people who look down on it, but I have never felt discrimiated against because of it (and if I have, I probably assumed it was because I was a gaijin as opposed to the peircings! And hey, it's not like that's particularly common either). I speak enough Japanese to know when people are talking about me and what they are saying (I do miss some words from time to time) and my piercings have never been mentioned.

So I don't know if your concerns are still bothering you, but I thought you might like to hear from someone in that situation.
by coreil10 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Facial (and other) peircings 2012/1/6 22:39
I have a facial piercings, lip and nostril, and I get more questions about them in Japan than I do at home. I've not had bad comments, just more intrigue, I guess because they aren't as common. Mostly, people just ask if they hurt. Some people stare at my lip for a little while, then whisper to a friend. I don't think they are negative comments, but who knows.
by fififi12 rate this post as useful

Re: Facial (and other) peircings 2012/3/13 08:37
Where do you think the conservative traditional thinking comes from? Still underlining current is Shintoism, even though you may not see it in everyday life.
Except single ear lobe piercing, which is more or less accepted today, multiple piecing, lip & tongue piercing may fall into the term "Furyou" a juvenile delinquent or rebellious(& wannabe)against the society, which adults may whisper to each other behind your back. That may be a reason for some kids to be envious & you popular. So if you want to show or be seen in this way, it is your prerogative.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread